Macro Shots with Canon Rebel XT kit lens

golfschosen1

Premium Member
I just got a Canon Rebel XT and am unsure how to take macro shots with it I have read the manual and it makes some sense I just couldnt quite figure out the macro part of it so if someone could tell me how to shoot a macro shot with the kit lens 18-55mm that would be great thanks in advance

Steve

Macro is generally defined as 1:1 (or higher) magnification; i.e. the size of the image on the sensor is the same as the object in real life. The kit lens isn't capable true macro but you can shoot close ups.

You need to be no closer than 0.28m / 0.92 ft away from your subject to get it to focus correctly.

What way do I get in really close with my kit lens? I used to have a Sony cybershot H2 sort of a point and shoot camera and it seems like I could get in a lot closer with that any suggestions?

Thanks
Steve

The way you get in close with the kit lens is to remove it, put it in the closet and put a macro lens on the camera. ;)

The Canon 100mm f/2.8, the Sigma 100mm or the Tamron 90mm are all excellent choices.

One technique that you can use is cropping. Since it's an 8mp camera you can crop the image quite a bit and still have a large picture. Since you can't really increase the magnification of your lens you can fake it after the fact by "zooming" in on your subject.

Cheers

Or you can get some close-up filters which will allow you to get closer to the subject and still let the camera focus. They are limiting but still fun to play around with considering the price (like $30 shipped from ebay). I've taken a few decent "macro" shots with kit lens this way.

Thanks Rick that is very encouraging I will look into that for sure thanks for the assistance I love the shots you take so thank you very much

Sincerely
Steve

I have that lens right now and find that manual focus works much better for macro shots than the auto focus. I would suggest that in addition to the ideas above.

This is an non-cropped image (full resolution, just resized) with that lens. Not the greatest, but gives you an idea of the magnification you can accomplish.

IMG_5529.jpg

Back