Magnesium anyone?

Rainer Feyer

Premium Member
How many of you are dosing Mg++ in your tanks?

I have always used my DIY 2 part alk / Ca potions, but had a problem getting both to an acceptable level.

Recently I made my own Mg++ solution out of de-icing salt, and it works very well! Both alk and Ca are improved, as well as pH.

Also, I ran a line of 3/4 tubing from PS to outside of house which improved the pH also, since it now gets less CO2

Do any of you dose Strontium as well? If so, what's your experience?

In my SPS tank, I test for Mg and dose when needed to keep around 1400 ppm. I also run a Ca reactor. In my softie tank, I don't worry about it and only dose B-Ionic occassionally. Tried St once after recommendation by LFS and convinced it did nothing that water changes would not take care of.

Thanks Racer,

When I first tested my Mg++ (before dosing), it was only 890! Now I am in the 1350 range.

I am afraid to use Ca Rx, since I already have high CO2 in the ouse during the winter. You seem to be in a warmer climate?

If you are upstate, you are a bit colder than we are but we are still the Midwest and its 28 today.

If you use a Ca Rx with a PH probe to turn CO2 on and off, the ambient CO2 shouldnt be a problem. I run my rpobe off my Aqua III and it works great at maintaining the proper PH as well as saving my CO2.

Rainer,

Does that line u ran outside, let cold air in the house? or is it rain into the tank ??

Racer,

I'm gonna consider the Ca Rx for the future!

Keith, the tube is a 3/4" tube - it goes directly to the PS - albeit, no cold air anywhere except for the PS compartment, which, by the time it gets there, is already warmed to some degree.

Rain?

Chris,

I really see a huge difference in my ability to keep my Kalk and Ca steady. Also, I am able to keep a higher Alk whilst having a higher Ca - as you know, it is usual for the Kalk to decrease when Ca is high, or visa versa.
The intersting thing is, and as many have written about, once the Mg++ is up, it is not difficult to keep it there - even with large h2O changes it does not change drastically.

I had to add 1L (as in one liter) of Mg++ supplementation the first time (in 4 installments over a 24 hor period) and it since has stayed in the above 1350 range. From what I read, once a week is max of supplementing once adequate levels are obtained. They also say that it does not bother anything to give larger amounts of supplementations at once, but I didn't want to be that experimental :)

I still add Ca and Alk, of course.

Rainer Feyer:

What salt are you using?

I am using Tropic Marin and found my magnesium to be 860 PPM. I am getting ready to dose Magnesium and possibly change to another salt.

Rainer,

i have constant Calcium/Alk Problems, Magnesium is my culprit. My mag was in the 800 range, i bought a bottle of kent magnesium but it is not much and i will probably want to make my own in the future, along with 2 part. Can you put your recipies down? Do you use Espon Salt or Dow Flakes? What brand of de-icer for the magnesium? How much do you dose of all 3?

I use Reef Crystals, but they do have a low on some levels, some recommend mixing with Instant ocean and that is the perfect mixture.

Flinka,

I am not a chemist by trade, but, from all the reading and experience, have to say that the type of salt used is probably somewhat irrelevant. I personally use IO - it is CHEAP and has good ratings with users.
I don't think that salt can be made to substitute all we need - think about it: some of us have fish only, some softies only, and some have so much Actro SPS that you can't see the tank - all of us have different needs. Hense, having to adjust substitutions individually. I would think that Mag at ~800 is tooo low.

Badfish,
I follow the formula of Farley exactly (don't have a referenece right now, but you can search RC for it). I did find DowFlake at a local Agaway, and it was the last bag!

Back