Magnifica or Gigantea 'opinions'

greekspec

Long story short I'm torn on which nem to get for my Perculas. I would like a Magnifica but I'm worried it will destroy my SPS colonies, my other thought was hopefully a Gigantea will stay down low near the sand bed. Attached are a few pics of my tank to give you a better idea of how much room I have left in my tank for a nem....If I get a Magnifica I was hoping it will stay put in the middle 15" down from the water line.

37gal Oceanic 24x18x20

Giesemann 250W MH w/4 T5's

Teco TK100 Chiller

dkh-7-7.5
temp-77
Nit-0
Phos 0.02-0.04

Attachments

• thumbnail_Image.jpg
    thumbnail_Image.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 2
Mag would need to be up high on a flat surface such as a flat rock/plateau. Of the 2 the gig would probably suit you better, but there is always risks. I have a gig that I’ve had for a couple years and it has never moved. They do prefer to have their foot protected by rock vs. sand.

Mag would need to be up high on a flat surface such as a flat rock/plateau. Of the 2 the gig would probably suit you better, but there is always risks. I have a gig that I've had for a couple years and it has never moved. They do prefer to have their foot protected by rock vs. sand.

where my green slimmer is would be the perfect spot directly under my MH, flat edge and flow, I was toying the idea of a Magnifica only because there way easier to come by.

where my green slimmer is would be the perfect spot directly under my MH, flat edge and flow, I was toying the idea of a Magnifica only because there way easier to come by.

That's great, but the mag would be about 12" across within the year. Are you planning on getting a larger tank? Both those nems get pretty huge. My gig is about 17" across right now. If you are gunna try and keep either in that tank it really isn't large enough. One move and they'll wipe out your entire tank.

That's great, but the mag would be about 12" across within the year. Are you planning on getting a larger tank? Both those nems get pretty huge. My gig is about 17" across right now. If you are gunna try and keep either in that tank it really isn't large enough. One move and they'll wipe out your entire tank.

I have a Schuran 180gal but it won't get setup till i move so the Oceanic is just temp

I would be very reluctant to put a magnifica into an SPS tank unless it is huge and you can carve out a island rock pile for the mag.
In my experience, giganteas are easier to control and don't really compete for the same locations as SPS. Their major downside is that they are dangerous to bottom dwelling fish like gobies and jawfish. I found however that healthy mandarins generally know how not to get eaten by giganteas.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I would be very reluctant to put a magnifica into an SPS tank unless it is huge and you can carve out a island rock pile for the mag.
In my experience, giganteas are easier to control and don't really compete for the same locations as SPS. Their major downside is that they are dangerous to bottom dwelling fish like gobies and jawfish. I found however that healthy mandarins generally know how not to get eaten by giganteas.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

the only fish I have are 10-Chromis and the pair of Perc's

now the issue is finding a Gigantea

You can also put a gig up hig on a pedestal. That’s where mine is and doesn’t threaten slower moving bottom dwellers. Again you need a little pile of rubble so it’s foot can take hold at first.

BTW, Aquatic Collection had 2 magnifica this weekend - just in case. They needed treatment but were not bleached (avoid bleached anemones!).

I got a purple green tip mag I'd part with. But it's a monster 18inch plus

473222563a5454f04f95f6bdae005a1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just setup another 20g tank for your clowns and anemone.[emoji16] Dont risk getting an anemone in your tank.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back