Making my own Algae scrubber

whiterushen

I'm returning to reefing after taking a 18 yr break. Back in the 90s, I accidentally made a algae scrubber on the input of my under tank sump. It consisted of an old undergravel filter i used to trickle the incoming water off and i had an old incandescent tank bulb on top of an old 10 gallon tank---the light was for maintenance purposes not algae growing. After 6 weeks, a good algae mat started to grow there and removed the algae from my tank.
This go around, I bought about fourty dollars of parts from wal mart and making a hanging tank scrubber. My first version is crude---i'm waiting for some grow LEDs to make the grow light portion smaller. I'll post pics as i go.

I'm returning to reefing after taking a 18 yr break. Back in the 90s, I accidentally made a algae scrubber on the input of my under tank sump. It consisted of an old undergravel filter i used to trickle the incoming water off and i had an old incandescent tank bulb on top of an old 10 gallon tank---the light was for maintenance purposes not algae growing. After 6 weeks, a good algae mat started to grow there and removed the algae from my tank.
This go around, I bought about fourty dollars of parts from wal mart and making a hanging tank scrubber. My first version is crude---i'm waiting for some grow LEDs to make the grow light portion smaller. I'll post pics as i go.

Do you have any pictures? I was wondering if I would have better luck with a DYI algae scrubber rather than trying to grow chaeto.

First try phase 1

First try phase 1

Excuse the crude design--- this is a work in progress

Attachments

• IMG_20191021_202156_900.jpg
    IMG_20191021_202156_900.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1
I use a river type spanning the rear 2” of a 13.5G AIO. The return feeds the ATS that slopes only 3” to the exit at the other end. Made out of plastic Home Depot trim board and a 9 watt 12” strip light. I scrape about 20g of tightly squeezed “green” every 10 days from a 12” x 1 3/8” mortared screen. Been running for a year. After using various scrubbers for years I have come to believe that they all work to a degree and they can be overdone. ��

Back