Mandarin Dragonet Feeding Routine

djryan2000

I saw a post on a forum by Biota advertising their captive bred mandarins and claiming they can subsist without pod populations. They uploaded a video of the babies eating frozen foods as evidence they will eat them. After seeing many replies of success stories I decided to purchase one. I purchased some foods as well.

Ive had mine for a week, here's what she looks like
939454664bf30f93b9989e1f9a9fd972.jpg

c90b9bcd2813b16e22f245635feeba0b.jpg

My current feeding regime (3x / day) is to mix BRS freeze fried copepods, Can O' Clops, and newly hatched live baby brine shrimp. I'll add a couple drops of a vitamin enhancement assistive I found. I turn off all the pumps and the skimmer so there's no water movement and squirt the mix at her and the cleaner shrimp to keep them from harassing her. I believe she is eating the mix, but I'm not entirely sure. She seems to be picking at pods as well on her own so I plan on adding some weekly as I only have a 45 gal AIO tank with a yellow wrasse (and a pink streaked that I haven't seen since adding him from QT in 2 months).

right now she seems healthy - I don't see her ribs and it looks like her stomach is plump. Any advice for improving my care is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They naturally eat so long as there's any light. Bite,count to three, bite, etc, eternally.

They naturally eat so long as there's any light. Bite,count to three, bite, etc, eternally.

Thank you! Today for the first time I noticed the widest part of her is the stomach so feeding her is going well so far.

the best tips i can offer is keep a close eye on the weight, if it starts to drop, step up your feeding.

also, a feeding station can be really helpful, i've used this design in the past:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2166449&highlight=mandarin+feeding+station

it helps let the food slowly creep out at a pace where they can sit around and gobble it up.

Thank you! I'll look into the feeding station. So far she's eating well!

Back