Mandarin QT question

sterling18

WMAS and HVReef Member
How do you go about QT'ing a Mandarin? Someone was over the house and saw mine and wanted to get one. We were discussing the better aspects of a QT tank when he asked how I did it. I told him I did a drip over two hours and in he went. I didn't QT him as I couldn't feed him. But my mandarin takes Cycopleze now and BBS when I first got him, since his diet at the LFS for 4 weeks was BBS.

But it got me thinking. How or can you even QT a mandarin?

Hummmm.

Wanted to add : after re-reading my original post. What I ment to say was I couldn't feed him pods and BBS was a hit or miss as per the LFS.

I am a strong believer in qt but as far as a mandarin goes I don't think it is needed because they have a very thick slime coat that keeps the fish from getting many common disease

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6511124#post6511124 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Devildogg9745
I am a strong believer in qt but as far as a mandarin goes I don't think it is needed because they have a very thick slime coat that keeps the fish from getting many common disease

That is true.

You really don't need to quarintine methods (a) you cannot meat their dietary needs in a qt tank (b) like mentioned above they have a thick slime coat which keeps them from getting most external diseases and parsites, these diseases and parasites are what you qt other fish for
viceversabrd

So a mandarin can't get Ich period? Because I want to get a pair but have worried about the QT.

I wouldn't say Mandarins can't get Ich. When I first was looking at getting a mandarin someone posted on another board that they had a one get Ich. Still it is very unlikely. They are tough fish.

Even if they do get ich, its a temporary irritant and the Mandarin always wins out. The ich critters can't establish itself or dig past the slime coat, so it either dies or moves on to another host fish. Mine had it for a few days. All the other fish died of it, of course. It became my real reason for a fishless reef - don't like the hassle of quarantining for several weeks everytime I get a new fish.

Back