Mangrove tank

Congratulations on the prop root.
If I may,
Love this thread. First, did you do any thing to spur the branch growth? And, how long did you leave the wire in place before the tree was formed enough for you to remove it and keep the form? Also, are the mollies "fuge safe"? Do they tear up the macros or eat the pods? Sorry if these have been answered, it's been awhile since I read the whole thread.

I did not do anything special for the branches, they come out when there is healthy growth at the top. The general rule of thumb for wiring is 3 months, but I kept mine on a while longer (mostly because I didn't make the time to rewire). The mollies don't go for the macros at all, I'm not sure about the pods.

Love it. You may have convinced me to spend a bunch of money on a second mangrove tank, 'just as a backup' of all my macros... I really like the natural look but am too controlling to let it happen in my main tank. I think I might do what you've done, except perhaps with the mr. aqua 12 long if I can find a good spot for it.

The prop root on my red mangrove has made it to the substrate

And for some more fun news.. My tall-stilted mangrove (Rhizophora apiculata) appears to be sending out prop roots as well. Hooray!

wow what a tank just read from the begging!
I so waan do a macro tank. I also was thinking of a mr aqua 12 gal. or when petco has there next sale pick up a 20 long...

OR was thinking i could do a macro display refuge for my DT no filtration both 40br

how deep of a sand bed do you have?

LOVE IT
it's fun we can all geek out on marine plats!

I have almost no sandbed at all. In the front of the tank I have maybe 1/2 inch of rubble that I got from live-plants.com, which serves as an anchor for the caulpera running along the glass. Most of the tank's substrate is contained in the mangrove pots.

My extremely photogenic snail climbed up my big mangrove's prop root out of the water, and the clownfish couldn't stand me taking a picture of it without a photobomb

Here's an updated pic of the R. apiculata's prop roots. You can see them a little better now that they're a little longer. I'm still pretty amazed how fast this plant developed them.

Back