Mangrove tank

Here's a look at my newest project. With my last shipment of mangroves, I received some seeds from the species Pemphis acidula. I'm very interested in this species because it has phenotypic plasticity, meaning that it can grow into very different plants depending on the conditions it's grown in. For example: this plant can grow fat succulent leaves, or thin nonsucculent leaves depending on the moisture and salinity conditions. This plant can also range in growth pattern from low creeping shrub, to mid height shrub, to a full blown tree.

My intention, naturally, is to grow this plant in my mangrove tank. It will be interesting to see the traits it will express. But, for starters, I need to get the seeds started. After some research, I've found that the best way to do so is to place the seeds in sponge, soak in water that's about 5% seawater, and seal in bag until they start sprouting. I began that process today. Here's a look:

The seeds are now soaking in low saline water soaked sponge, I've read it can take up to a couple weeks for them to germinate, but we shall see. We shall see.

Cool! Phenotypic plasticity! Doesn't it just role off your tongue? What a fun project! I look forward to more. Good luck!

Wow..things are like weeds on South Florida beaches I recently started a mangrove and palegic Sargassum tank for the simple reason I have a file fish that is eating my zoanthids and it needs to come out of my main tank..Care of mangroves is very simple they are almost impossible to kill I have under 300 watts of LED growing 3 mangroves. Currently my concern is the pelagic sargassum i am trying to incorporate into the tank for the file fish. I don't need to spend money on a new light

I love mangroves and I love Florida. I'm considering doing a marine botany graduate program in Florida after I graduate next December.

I really like your tank, and your mangroves are looking good! I did just order 10 shoots of the sexangula myself. And I'm a bit curious aboute the way yo do the FW-propagation, can you shortly describe how you do it?

Thank you, and once again a really cool project you got going!

Back from a long vacation to the great state of Colorado. Since we were just talking about it here's what the sexangula is looking like:

Pretty sure this is my fastest grower

Aerial Roots

Aerial Roots

I've managed to grow aerial roots on ficus bonsai, by wrapping damp sphagnum moss around a branch and covering with cling film/seran wrap. Check it every day and add water to keep it moist.

When the roots start growing, I poke a hole in the clingfilm (leave the moss and clingfilm there) to let them grow out. Take a drinking straw, slit it down the side and gently slide it over the growing root. The other end of the straw goes into the water.

That way the root is kept damp, and will grow straight. As it thickens, you can easily remove the slit straw.

Give it a go, see if it works for you

Richard

I have not had luck germinating my Pemphis seeds, I'm going to set up a range of salinities to try to get them started.

Here's a pic of my macros I took today. A lot of people hate on caulpera but I enjoy it. It's fast rate of growth is interesting to watch, it creates a fluid landscape that looks different week to week. I think the palm tree caulpera is my favorite.

Nice, Sam. Thanks for the pic! I think most people who hate on it, can't keep it alive. You, however, are rockin' it! Great work!

Love the prolifera! Hey, how are your red macros doing? Mine sort of gradually break apart into smaller pieces. Not dying but not thriving either. I don't think they're digging the strong currents, like the seagrasses do. The good news is several babies are popping up around the tank, including on one of the fake roots. Woohoo!

Back