Mangrove tank

I had all kinds of micro algae, and cyanobacteria. As my tank matured, they were gradually replaced by turf and macros, in what looked to me to be succession. Having a huge army of tiny snails that reproduce in my tank was also a major factor in the change. Micros are now hard to find, but the snails are finding something to eat. They just keep it trimmed way back I guess.

Thanks guys. Michael, I feel like our tanks are great representatives of this forum, Marine plants and macroalgae!

When I started my tank I noticed Bryopsis and pulled it out, but it never reemerged so it must not have been able to compete with the macros. Micro algae can be a problem, but a little maintenance is all that's involved for me to deal with it.

I repotted my Ceriops zippeliana. It's in a larger pot, and I changed the potting angle so it is pointing up straighter. There's probably a few that could use repotting but I gave this one highest priority due to the fact that it is the rarest species I have and I only have one copy of it.

Nice pic! Beautiful mangrove.

Have you thought about how you'll integrate your mangroves in the new, larger tank?

Thanks guys. Michael, I feel like our tanks are great representatives of this forum, Marine plants and macroalgae!

When I started my tank I noticed Bryopsis and pulled it out, but it never reemerged so it must not have been able to compete with the macros. Micro algae can be a problem, but a little maintenance is all that's involved for me to deal with it.

Your tanks are great representatives of this forum, really! When I started my first saltwater aquarium I had no clue of macro algae and marine plants. I had just live rock and sand. Looking really plain. When I discovered macro algae I tried it and got no where. The feeling of defeat as all my algae and sea grass died off coupled with my girlfriend being pregnant and not thinking I would have the time pretty much halted me in my tracks. When Michael was starting up his tank over a year ago I had taken interest in seeing his build. Cut forward a year when the burning desire (seriously this is what i feel) to get my saltwater tank up and running I found Michaels posts again and then yours. Now I check the updates of these threads every few hours so I don't miss a thing. You guys have changed the macro algae game for me!

I'm glad there are more people looking to get into this little niche of ours! I look forward to watching your tank progress, nawilson89.

Pretty awesome news guys, I just discovered a new prop root on my R. apiculata. It's the first prop root I've had sprout above water.

This has been a long time coming: my R. apiculata has been getting too tall, so it needed to be cut back. I took off the top two sets of leaves. I took the cutting and prepared it for rooting: I removed the leaves and wounded the stem and dipped it in rooting hormone, then I put it in a peat pellet and sealed it in a big zip loc. I don't know for sure if it will root, but it was worth a shot. I'm sure the mother plant will be fine, hopefully a few new branches will pop out in the coming weeks!

Before

After

Cutting

Must be tough to cut that much off, when they grow so slow. Not sure why you'd try to root it. You may have a mangrove hoarding problem. I'll start planning the intervention…

Haha you got me! It wasn't easy cutting it off, trust me. But I'm not looking to have a 5 foot tall single-stemmed tree. If the cutting takes root, that will be good knowledge going forward in the future. I'm starting to feel like this species might have a future in the hobby. It grows fast, it sprouts prop roots at a young age and in multitude, and it has red leaf veins and growth tips. It's ideal in my eyes.

Mhmm…so how much of your living space is taken up by mangroves?

That's very cool what you're learning about the various mangroves you've kept. If I ever decide to keep mangroves, I know whose thread I'm reading!

How much? Not enough of it Michael, not nearly enough. Seriously though, just a small corner of my living room :)

Just checkout the roots and leaves on this thing! I'm pretty stoked on it atm.

I'm about to embark on my new journey!
I need to read through this whole thing.
Thanks RC Mod Billsreef for the wonderful starter kit!!

I cleaned up the R. apiculata so you can see the prop roots better, and rotated it so the new prop root is facing the front.

Don't worry about the colt coral it's just mad I was messing around in the tank

Back