Mantis ID

ReefRaf

Dr. Roy, I was looking at a picture on the bluebird gallery of a Gonodactylaceus glabrous ....is this the typical coloration of this species? I believe I have one of these based on the raptorial colors and size. It looks like a "Popeye" version of a mantis. Big arms!
Does this raptorial size give it an advantage over similar sized shrimp of other species? I have a pair of one species in the same tank as this G. glabrous and they seem to be playing musical lairs.
The female of the pair is often displaying a mearal flair towards the newcomer (G. glabrous ). Should they be separated? There are many holes available to all three specimens. Thanks!

Most of the Gonodactylaceus have a yellow or orange meral spot. The orangish body color is typical of G. glabrous, but also occurs occasionally in G. mutatus, G. graphurus, and perhaps G. falcatus. Gonodactylaceus along with Gonodactylus have very large raptorial appendages and in large animals (8-9 cm), they look really impressive. The rapts are slightly larger in males than females, but the difference isn't noticable.

In a large tank (> 40 gal) with lots of cavities, two or three animals may be able to coexist. The only real danger comes when one of them molts. These guys are cannibalistic.

Roy

Roy, these guys (and gal) are in a ten gallon. I assume your opinion is that it's just a matter of time before one of them gets hurt. The green male is about the same length as the one in question above, but the other looks like it can deliver a much more powerful blow. I can sort of confirm this from the impact on a feeding stick.
I will investigate alternate living arrangements for them. The pair that mated don't seem to have a problem co-habitating, but the newcomer might be a trouble maker. I'll try and get a pic to help in identifying it/them.
Thanks!

Back