mantis lighting

Haramdar

Hey,
Just curious, I put a 5k "daylight" fluorescent bulb on my mantis tank. Since it is quite bright I just wanted to make sure that was OK for my little N. Wennerae.

Thanks!

should be fine they live in Low intertidal to 100feet. only should be worred with deep water animals.

I'm not sure on what basis the advice is offered that N. wennerae lives at high light intensities. Most of the animals sold commerically come from beds of LR at 5-20 m in fairly mucrky water. I would not call this bright condtions N. bredini occurs in the low intertidal, but not N. wennerae

Roy

So is the 5k daylight bulb OK or no...I'm confused...I was under the impression that N. Wennerae could handle metal halide intensity, which is part of why I was hoping that a 5k bulb would be "very safe." If not true and a more plant based spectrum offered by a 2.7k bulb then I can switch with no problems ( already have one infact lol ). :confused:

N. wennerae is a hardy species that can withstand broad spectrum, bright illumination provided it has a deep, dark cavity. It will probably turn color and "go green" with broad spectrum ambient lighting, but that is about it. N. bredini, its close relative, typically lives intertidally and can handle intense, noon-time sun. The problem is that we can often tell them apart using molecular techniques. My advice, use whatever lighting you want, just provide dark shelter.

Roy

what about for an O. Scyllarus? I just recently got one and he built a lair and killed some crabs and now he is just staying in there. I've had him for about a week, I just added a powerhead for water flow and oxygenation.

O. scyllarus is found deeper and likes dimmer, blue-spectrum lighting. Always provide a suitable dark cavity or LOTS of live rock rubble and other bits for construction.

Dan

yeah i have about 6 inches of crushed coral substrate and lots of live rock, i have what i think is a t5 fluorescent right now, im going to the fish store today to get some things. what are some good lights you can recommend?

Back