Many DIY Plans & Suppliers

Hey, just found a one-stop-shop for PVC plumbing parts. they have EVERYTHING!!! If you cant find it there, you're not looking in the right location, or it doesnt exist!! not sure if its been mentioned before here, but here's the link:

http://flexpvc.com

Diy skimmers like skimz201

Diy skimmers like skimz201

Hi guys
Im a new member Iwant to diy a skimmer for my new tank because in my country there is no shop that i can buy skimz if you can help me thats great
I need some information I know the base of the cone is 20cm
the neck is 10 cm
I dont know about the height of the cone to the neck,any one know that?
the height of the cup?
diameter of the cup?
the thick of the plaxi of cone?
height of the base?
and which waterpump i can replace to es 2800 or es5000? in my country i cant find like that pump

Yes have used Tap plastics before... good prices on materials and builds. Although if you can use regular molded plastics, like frozen-food trays, it will really be almost free. Look around the house for anything plastic, and see if you can use it to build something.

santa monica, I saw the UAS Algae scrubber on your website, how many do you recommend for a 70 gallon tank. I want to start using them.

Anyone got a supplier for large diameter clear acrylic pipe?
I'm looking for 6"+ diameter (preferable 10") and more than 6' tall (preferably 10').

Cost is a significant consideration since this is a DIY skimmer. I found these guys with flat bottom tanks: http://www.solar-components.com/AQUA.htm

but wanted more options

What computer programs do you use to make a computer mockup of what you plan on making? I've seen some people post computer images before they started building but I can't find anything, I know I'm looking in the wrong places so hopefully somebody knows. Thanks much.

computer drawing

computer drawing

What computer programs do you use to make a computer mockup of what you plan on making? I've seen some people post computer images before they started building but I can't find anything, I know I'm looking in the wrong places so hopefully somebody knows. Thanks much.

BDR the program that people have been using is called Google Sketch Up.

Any advice on what thickness of acrylic to use for internal dividers/baffels in a 55 gal tank being converted into a sump. I was thinking of using 1/8 in acrylic but concerned it might be to weak.

I assume your 55 is a glass tank? It's best to use 1/4" glass baffles. Over time, acrylic will absorb water, expand, and the edges of the baffles will push out against the glass causing your sump to crack. You get the picture... Also, silicone doesn't do the best job of adhering acrylic to glass.

Go with glass and a good silicone and you'll sleep better at night.

The absorption of water and expansion of the acrylic is minimal. Only up to 2% absorption and an expansion of up 2mm in a 1 meter length (obtained via manufacturers webpage). However the advice on thickness is appreciated and I believe I will go with 1/4".

Back