Mark's 180 Starfire upgrade

:lol: I guess my training sessions are bordering on ludicrous and insane.

That's pretty much how they read! Sold some exercise equipment today and have some new stuff coming tomorrow ... we'll see how it goes in 2010!:frog:

Mark, which substrate did you add to the tank? What was the size range? I am looking for a suitable one so I can get it conditioned in time to be added back to the tank when it's ready. Thanks.

Mark, which substrate did you add to the tank? What was the size range? I am looking for a suitable one so I can get it conditioned in time to be added back to the tank when it's ready. Thanks.

Kenny, I will send you an email with links, but here is a shot of it. Its nice and heavy and I did not see that much browning when I added it back in. The good thing about the larger grain sand, is that you need less of it. Its also large enough that you can vacumm it once a month and you do not need to worry about sucking it out. I tried it for the first time yeatserday and it went pretty well.

Sandproject-2.jpg

Mark, have your diatoms come back? Just wondering as I'm dealing with some right now.

Mark, have your diatoms come back? Just wondering as I'm dealing with some right now.

(crossing fingers) No diatoms yet...The sand in lower flow area has some initial buildup, but not the brown diatoms like before; that was one reason I vacummed with yesterdays wc. I have also read alot of threads about diatoms & cyano and people who are bacteria dosing.

(crossing fingers) No diatoms yet...The sand in lower flow area has some initial buildup, but not the brown diatoms like before; that was one reason I vacummed with yesterdays wc. I have also read alot of threads about diatoms & cyano and people who are bacteria dosing.

Ya that what I'm going though now, diatoms & cyano. There's only a little cyano in low flow areas. I was thinking that it had to do with my flow, that why I asked you... seeing how you have a ton of flow. Matbe a few week of UV will take care of it ;).

Ya that what I'm going though now, diatoms & cyano. There's only a little cyano in low flow areas. I was thinking that it had to do with my flow, that why I asked you... seeing how you have a ton of flow. Matbe a few week of UV will take care of it ;).

I am not a believe in the "theory" that low flow is the cause for cyano. I have had in on my tunzes before :lol: People and there internet theories :fun5:

I am not a believe in the "theory" that low flow is the cause for cyano. I have had in on my tunzes before :lol: People and there internet theories :fun5:

I don't believe that low flow causes cyano, it just in areas of low flow. Flow might help get it in the water column where filtration can remove it. nutrient in most cases cause it... and bacteria dosing?

nutrient in most cases cause it... and bacteria dosing?

;) But most people think that just because their $8 test kit says their nutrients are undectable, then their tank has no nutirents :lol2:

Last edited:
;) But most people think that just because their $8 test kit says their nutrients are undectable, then their tank has no nutirents :lol2:

I hear you. I would like to think that with all the testing I have done that my case is either bacteria related over nutrients. My corals are telling me that it not nutrients ;).

I hear you. I would like to think that with all the testing I have done that my case is either bacteria related over nutrients. My corals are telling me that it not nutrients ;).

Now we're talking; corals are the best test kits once you learn how to speak their language :thumbsup:

Not too many updates these days. I have been too busy training to even think about the tank, but here is a shot of my center rock formation before I head out the door for some more Sat morning training :)

totmoptions0001-2.jpg

Back