Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

I bought these and am just waiting on delivery. It has a new array of leds vs the original black box's. They're the same as the New Dsuny ones. What do you guys think? I think it's a 20 or so cheaper on ebay but I wanted the security of Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EH564YE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ok so they came in and are set up. I love them. The app is very easy to use. I'll be doing a little more in depth review of them and programming on youtube later. I ordered "DC Fix sand" diffuser film for the glass covers to get rid of the burning these leds are known for. BRStv's review of the new phillips has shown incredible results by simply applying frosted glass. Giving full spectrum overlay. I'll post that later. No par meter but that film has been shown here on RC to only drop par by about 5% so np there.

Second pic sux but shows how I mounted them.

e-oovho2qCFzPAe6AOVBJcVij4-Anp_PxFvq7LRxnubs_3ePWVXVewxLetcTGs1SmbLDcCqrbQ9b_rSA0_HX3RpEEXlxzUVZWSoos8z6kZRlfOsS3P4oV7fuiceSgkQRzn4Xs9VVH1OPWu0ziT4uNAb2O_IY_0EGbMW2EZmT7aKpgFZ02iLqAmgPgYrqsLn7s6hOiw7nYuhkTCpkI5d5ZEEIPuJL8mCnCVti_GYQ5mObkJB66RvR82upFLBhFDV01TlBaYhpshP92vYWer8HO6BD7rwd2OkJZ-G3_oSZFkPZ1EwjvyscG8NpBsX1_632xGl5FJLau1ZKvr1cd4jynfFyiKnwUnEBnq4JNAPif4RKqQQyi7mVEThX98phso_W08hP-CyIAYckPPkJ_Jv_jbgRxBx2ZQ2ePydOkUzwOEMZdbqH9RBQYf-qXjJ6s1CII2OWULdsrI2cnlpEz7u-i83U9fiReLEQx16e9MTlSreGVSjIWrZOSIeWYZQyQ3mY7YqhbM5VDjZ26EphDycYqQXMGRIj8HbGnu8Ahz9LxRvXl3HUm6IFETMrPKpyci58Ibde3CSjyN1YxsEMAi8_Wt7EuAd_m9OZC_47bnQWgewdO_CamCOL=w1602-h901-no

7K2SCixm9JCYxaV5IgRU6hznM8wfBPmOjhWt1KFDzGrCYUItzOyxBX6xaYyYwKBj89ZwFL4zQyEP0O-vHyyI44dc7RDYuFZUUAWkuT51O4uvmQtPuD2PxG3iqy0Pm8-r3dWhHAjxKIXQuoGSKqA0DQQGBuYqVGfARC_uJ6NL0bTQVTYccapcsinOpZxUMvjbu00ZcD1SuDR0LYEfLar0kp-dGK3IIjahk5xiQJBxqEddOZbhglIsvqZqFxYK-l17Rd03M5NA4KoBgjTfhEnnjn6WWGBQyZ832Jwe3XyXysb9dPRewWxBsp7qLPOgQe1ZYWcAjlzbMOtExsikypow8OqCCD67vVxxMSAqbhW2v8OlnLy8lq-R4ZFWH-dw3mGGbqZENSbxy2HV2VcJPP8Q0TwXqjV9uJOLPPoNsSvW4MnpBgMp2zDXBLrpeL11oDgJAvkR5IWHUI-f1Mj7pBYTya_lS4azLHukDPUICZ7PLR7SPKwMHl1StgvfZtx0VpXCIrxjqfnIc01qL0oYLWdzzJ8Z8tvOETpIHrMk_gWKCu0TwQvLUwQO3rRi1RTGrwtUfjQ_TiG67GUrdTpC6WriUjfUgHljhxbJc380ifZBP5-wuZQF=w1602-h901-no

I have a 165w box on the way to install in my biocube 29 hood. What would be a good controller to use for it? I can't afford any of the expensive ones set but I'll have the apex some day!

I have a 165w box on the way to install in my biocube 29 hood. What would be a good controller to use for it? I can't afford any of the expensive ones set but I'll have the apex some day!

Nvm about this, just getting two timers for it.

I am wondering how I will install it in the hood. It's going to have to be heavily dimmed

WOW was I wrong about the size of this 165w Black Box. I thought it was going to be half the size it is. No way to fit this in a biocube lid.

Looks like Ill have to go topless.

Does anyone know which optics are which on the MARS 300w?
They say its equipped with 120°, 90°, and 60° lenses. I don't mind the 90 so much but the 60° has to go because I'm running it on a 16"tall tank.

there ya go buddy. and thank you for the effort. ive recently told my buddy that he should do the shelf to hang lights. this is EXACTLY what i was picturing....

Hello, new member here, a lot of experience though. Ive been out of the aquarium scene for almost 20 years though.

Has anyone here looked at or tried these lightshttp://m.ebay.com/itm/251866837964
I dont know if they can be controlled in the sunrise to sunset setup yet. I emailed the seller though. I figured there would be less of the disco ball issue with the lights arranged in clusters. Im looking to run leds on a new setup 125gallon tank. Mostly soft corals but possibilities of anemones and hard corals in the future too. My local store showed me a light bar that retails for about 850.00 that they say one will be enough to power anything in my tank. Its a single bar with multible blues whites and the centers are uv. Has a wireless controller that has a touch screen, didnt get the name though. I had asked them about the orbit and they said it wont do the job and instead showed me the one i described. My one issue with the mars is the height you all are running them from the water surface i have a max space of anout 4 inches from bulb to water. Any other recommendations?

Can you please post the specifics on that light, model & make or a link to where you got it? Also how did all your corals like it? Where you able to replace the mh lights and go strictly the led? Which one did you prefer of the 2 led fixtures? And lastly can you explain the timer setup, were you able to get sunrise to sunset programming and how did color compare to the mars aqua?

Hello, new member here, a lot of experience though. Ive been out of the aquarium scene for almost 20 years though.

Has anyone here looked at or tried these lightshttp://m.ebay.com/itm/251866837964
I dont know if they can be controlled in the sunrise to sunset setup yet. I emailed the seller though. I figured there would be less of the disco ball issue with the lights arranged in clusters. Im looking to run leds on a new setup 125gallon tank. Mostly soft corals but possibilities of anemones and hard corals in the future too. My local store showed me a light bar that retails for about 850.00 that they say one will be enough to power anything in my tank. Its a single bar with multible blues whites and the centers are uv. Has a wireless controller that has a touch screen, didnt get the name though. I had asked them about the orbit and they said it wont do the job and instead showed me the one i described. My one issue with the mars is the height you all are running them from the water surface i have a max space of anout 4 inches from bulb to water. Any other recommendations?
With all those reds, it seems like that light is more of a plant grow light and not a Reef light. Why not look at 2x 300 Mars aqua or maybe reef breeders? It will have the control you are looking for and is available in multiple sizes to fit your tank better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I am looking at the 165 and 300 mars, but from everyones post they need to be elevated quite a bit 8-14 inches above the surface. Im looking at having 4 to 6 inches of available space above the surface.
Im also looking at the light bars with built in hangers. 2 to 4 36 inch bars.none seem to have programers though.

Hello all! I tried to read through MOST of this huge thread and couldn't find the answers to these questions I have so please forgive if this is repetitive:

1) I am planning on the 50 GALLON STARFIRE PNP SYSTEM. Will the 165W be enough light?

2) How much does the fixture weight?

Thank you in advance

Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

Not too heavy maybe 2 soda cans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am looking at the 165 and 300 mars, but from everyones post they need to be elevated quite a bit 8-14 inches above the surface. Im looking at having 4 to 6 inches of available space above the surface.
Im also looking at the light bars with built in hangers. 2 to 4 36 inch bars.none seem to have programers though.
Well, if you take off the lenses, you will get better spread and less penetration for having it close to the water. Then adjust power levels from there. I would definitely recommend looking into the reef breeders. I was going to use a 300w Mars over my 40b frag tank based mostly on cost. I ended up finding a photon 24 used for about 175. Close to the same price, but a higher adjustability factor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

How does the photon compare to the zetlight 6800a or the zs7000a? One shop is suggesting the photon but they run them to high for my setup, the other shop recommends the zt6800 and run one as low as i need to. They both run multiple units of the light they recommend. Either way im going to have to run 2 lights to cover my tank. Ill still get the mars for my sump.

I have 2 300W MarsAqua (stock LEDs) over my 125g (72L x 18W x 20D). Love them! I'm going to be setting up a 40g breeder, and will be buying another one of these for that setup :)

My question to this thread is: how much 420nm wattage is too much? For context, I am talking about a mostly LPS tank.

Each MarsAqua 300W light has 460nm (38 leds) and 450nm (12 leds) on the frame, and I was considering dropping some 460 in favor of 420. Ending with a ratio something more like 26:12:12 (460:450:420) on the blue channel. I know people have dropped the greens and reds on the white channel to make room for 420/395nm leds, my question I guess is how much 420 is appropriate? It is pretty much dead on the absorption spectrum maximum of chlorophyll a, but is it problematic if I change these at the cost of some 460 (close to the absorption max of cholorophyll b)?

Most posts I have read in this thread change the reds and greens to 420nm (total 8 leds on the frame), but I was thinking about switching these to 4 14k and 4 395s.

Thanks!
-Bryan

Back