Mata Tang

Xaiv

I recently bought a Mata Tang/Elongate Tang/Acanthurus mata. I was wondering if anyone had any information on them. I have heard they eat some mysis, seaweed, and zooplankton (like copepods, etc.), but it was from the internet and not sure of the source. Is there anything I should know about this specific tang as far as diet, temperament, and disease? Any information would be extremely helpful.

He decided to eat some shrimp today that I soaked in garlic guard. He's new to the tank -- only been in there for 1 day. He won't touch the seaweed yet (also soaked in garlic guard), but I plan on putting it closer to his path that he likes to run. If that doesn't work I will probably tie some to a rock. I haven't seen him try to eat any algae off the rocks yet, but like I said he's new to the tank. So, I'm sure it'll take some adjusting time. There's not a lot of info out there about these fish so I'm just trying what I think is right. If anyone has any other info about their diet, temperament, and disease issues, again, any info would be extremely helpful.

i believe they are much like duss tangs or blochi/xanthopterus. Feed mainly seaweed and im sure they will eat pretty much anything offered in the water column. Most are coming in from Sri Lanka where collection is very good, so hopefully you have long term success with them :)

Beautiful fish, get up to about two feet I believe, and eat primarily zooplankton as I believe they are open water fish. Doesn't mean he won't/shouldn't eat/be offered nori, but don't panic if he doesn't gobble it up, especially right away. They are definitely big swimmers though, and as such generally like a rather large tank. May get pretty aggressive in a 75G tank.

Good place for fish info:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com
or:
http://www.fishbase.org/

It should eat just about anything you throw in the tank, just keep offering it an assortment of foods. The fish will seem shy at first and may not eat till it becomes accustom to its surrounding. I agree with the posts above though. Your 75 is way too small for an Acanthurus sp. The do get large fast and love to swim in open water.

im bringing this thread back. im considering getting a mata tang for my 180(been doing my research), anyone with personal experience have any advice? i also plan on adding a red sea sailfin to go with my existing purple tang. thx

want to have three tangs total if all goes according to plan, if i must though i may ditch the purple for the red sea and the mata (or similar type)

Again too small of a tank. The sailfin and purple should be okay together in a 180. Mata tangs need 300gal minimum, they are also agressive ime.

i was hoping i could get by with it but i agree that my tank is probably too small for him in the long run. this fish is just awesome though and i would really love to have one.
anyone else care to chime in?

Back