matted filefish

Art VandeLay

Has anyone kept a matted filefish in their reef with any success. Im considering getting one from Dr. F&S and was looking for any experiences ...good or bad ....from the members here. Thanks in advance

btw..im talking the filefish listed as 3.5" inches fully grown...I have a 100 gal tank

Love your Forum name!

I have had mine in my reef for about 6 months, it has bothered nothing, and have not seen one Aiptasia since he has been in there.

I bought him from a LFS that had him in a large reef display with tons of Xenia and other corals, so I thought this was a good bet.

Everyone has different experiences, mine has been more than a model citizen, and a very fun and interesting fish. I have zoos, mushrooms, Rics, Frospawn, Green Star Polyp and leather corals in my tank.

Thanks Sigmund.....was hoping for a good response.....and yours was....not many others seem to have kept one.....guess I will start seeking one out...thanks again

It's not necessarily that nobody has kept them...I have, but not in a reef setup. I can tell you that they do eat appies, and in our setups, they never really bothered the few corals that were in the tanx. If you keep them with live macro, they DO turn a gorgeous green color...

btff700.jpg

Sigmund do you still have your matted FF? Is he still a model citizen? I'm researching this fish and would like to know. TIA

Mine from f/s came in very thin and didn't eat anything for a week and didn't make it. I think it may be better if you call and ask for a m/f pair.

There was plenty of aptaisias to choose from.:lol2:

Back