May's nTOTM Thread- sjfishguy's SPS dominated 30 cube

Maxi-Jet: no timer, runs 24/7.

Phosphate media: have never used any of these products.

Water changes: I make 7gals of RO water every three weeks. So it just works out that I make an extra bucket of water and do a water change with it every other time I make water. No real science behind the six weeks. The only reason I really do water changes anyway is to avoid sulfate buildup from part 3 of the two part solution additive.

I will try and get some more pics soon.

Sweet setup!!! Aren't you afraid of the weight of that skimmer cracking the Aqauclear over time? It beats having it in the tank for aesthetic purposes for sure. Good idea, but makes me think...

There is a brace its sits on that I screwed into the stand below. Though I mentioned that, sorry if I didn't; its very important if anyone wants to try it themselves. My friend tryed to do it without the brace attached to the stand and it did indeed crack the aquaclear. With the brace there is no weight of the skimmer on the aquaclear, the ring on the skimmer just holds it from not falling over.

Here is an update with the chiller. I am using an AC70 powerhead that is now also sitting inside the AC110 HOB to feed a Current 1/15th hp chiller. The chiller has been working great keeping the tank at a constant 80F. The AC110 pulls in enough water for the chiller and the skimmer pumps to function and the returns for both are into the main tank. The AC110 is still returning some excess water into the tank, so a bigger pump for the chiller could probably be used. Here are some pics of how I have the chiller if anyone is interested.

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

No, no, not trying to get rid of the chiller. Just added it a month or two ago and wanted to update my thread.

The middle SPS is an ORA German Blue Polyp Montipora digitata.

Thanks for the kind words!

Montis and that pink birdnest did great under the PCs. I would stay away from acros, they always browned out and never did well. One milli grew but didn't do anything until it got under halides. The birdsnest actually looked better under my PCs than under my halides, but that is the only exception.

I don't think I commented earlier.... but I'll add my praise here... Great tank.

It looks biodiverse at first glance, however your stocking list blew me away.... I'm not sure I can see all of those SPS in there. Maybe my eyes are just drawn to the several large colonies.

I hope you don't have to move it/take it down for a long time.

You might be tempted to get a bigger tank, but it would be neat to see just how this grows out over a few more years... Few nano's make it this far.

The sure flo is on a 900 I believe

You can see 90% of the SPS listed in the first picture. Most a pretty big pieces although some are very small frags. Its tough unless you know where to look for each.

My tank is about 1 year old now (was about six months when those pics were taken). The large colonies have exploded with growth and I have fraged most of them many times. I have lost a couple things for various reasons, the worst lost being both of my clams. Over the course of a couple months, each one closed up and never opened again for no apparent reason. The purple maxima I had had for almost 5 years. I have a new blue maxima on order though.

I will add a new FTS soon, my computer crashed last week and I am waiting to get it fixed or a get a new one.

900? thats cool ... i've a sureflo on a 400 and its mighty too much flow for the softies and i have to bounce it off a rock but yeah i love love the flo it creates ... sorry bout ur clams ...

So it has been a year since I first set up this 30 cube. Below are two pictures, one taken shortly after I set up the tank, and the second taken a few days ago. Since May my clams died and I removed a few different pieces of coral to let others grow in. I have moved a few pieces, but for the most part you can really only recognize the growth.

Thanks for all the kind words and I enjoy answering any questions people have about the setup!

30cube11-07.jpg

30cube11-08.jpg

Back