Mertens/gig not playing nice

taylor t

2 days ago, the mertens, and Pete's blue gig started touching. It looked as the mertens "burned" the blue gig tents. I don't see the area they were "burned", I'm wondering if they are folded inside, not inflating at all. At the time, I didn't think much of it. I'm going on day 2 of it not looking good now. Day one I thought it just got mad at that spot, but now the whole blue gig is floppy. What is interesting, I can touch the mertens with my hands, not very sticky. All my gigs are super sticky to my touch. But the gig did not like the mertens touching it, and the mertens did not show any reaction to touching the gig. I upped the flow on Pete's gig. Time will tell. I epoxied some LR pieces to kind of fence those 2 apart. Pete's gig may have to find a different spot, I'm hoping not (I have no spare room that size). It's not looking good today, first day it's looked so bad. Hope it's just a fluke.
Today, it looks pathetic, compared to what it normally looks:

Normally looks like this (take note of the baby brown under it):

Big difference in the next post/pic below. I increased the flow a lot. Hoping it can work through it's issues on it's own. This particular gig has seen the cipro TT at least a half dozen times.

I don't run carbon. The tank has 1 mertens, 1 malu, 6 gigs. Only 1 gig has issues, I noticed it's gotten worse, since they touched, about 48 hours ago.

Sounds like showing who is boss in the territory. It has no idea who is fish food or not.

I had a condylactis anemone roll into my LTA once... well only once.

Still doing the same. Very poor. Mouth hangs open all the time. I'm going to keep giving it high flow, and just hope for the best. I've figured out the light this guy wants, but I can't figure out the flow. It's not doing as well as it looks in the pic.

Here's a side shot of the whole clan's water movement. Pete's blue gig gets a gyre all to itself, it's pretty customiz-able (is that even a word?). Flow can vary intensity, and time, and it's really easy to just grab the magnet and move until it's where you want it. I still like MP40 better though.

Here's the others, everyone's happy.

The purples are fine too.

Whole tank shot. Mertens skirt is flaring up at the bottom, more than it likes.

It's already border lining on too much flow.

Amount of water

Amount of water

I dont beleive you have enough volume to be able to sustain all those anemones in one tank.

In most tanks there is usually a perfect spot for an anemone to grab on and stay hold. other anemones will jockey for position to get that spot. Your mertens is what i like to consider the turf monster. They get largest and dont have a problem sending others packing.

I would take a some out and let the mertens have its way.

They can get huge and territorial.

Do you have an existing video of the tank, or could you post one? I'd be curious to see what kind of flow you have going on. I am still trying to find the sweetspot in my gig tank.
I have a gyre and ordered the smaller one too. My aim is to create a steady but gentle swaying flow.

I dont beleive you have enough volume to be able to sustain all those anemones in one tank.

In most tanks there is usually a perfect spot for an anemone to grab on and stay hold. other anemones will jockey for position to get that spot. Your mertens is what i like to consider the turf monster. They get largest and dont have a problem sending others packing.

I would take a some out and let the mertens have its way.

They can get huge and territorial.
I know, I've been in denial for over a month now. I'm seeing it's over packed. Figuring which ones to get rid of is tough. I have 310 gallons of glass, but only 270 gallons of water and rock combined, which would be maybe roughly 220 gallons of water? On the flip side, I've got a 75 gallon 30 sump, maybe 70-75 gallons of water, and 6 gigs are all doing quite well. I have even gone a few weeks with no water changes before on that tank... So what's the deal? That's a much higher anemone mass to water ratio.

Do you have an existing video of the tank, or could you post one? I'd be curious to see what kind of flow you have going on. I am still trying to find the sweetspot in my gig tank.
I have a gyre and ordered the smaller one too. My aim is to create a steady but gentle swaying flow.
I don't have a video that's recent. I'll have to get one of my kids to make one for me, I'm computer challenged here.

I don't think the Gyre works as well as the MP40. It's a purchase I wish I didn't make. The dial for adjustment sucks/difficult to use. You need finger nails to grab it. I've had problems with the motor freezing, when it's on the forward/reverse mode. I just don't use that mode, and I don't have energy to complain about it to customer service, I just won't buy another or recommend it. I also see a problem long term having the cord in the water, with vinegar baths, eventually will lead to needing to order a new motor for the thing once water enters the motor and starts tripping ,my GFI. Not if, but when. MP40 has no cord in the water, all mechanical/submerged parts can withstand cleanings much better, IMO. Long term. I like the concept, a nice toy at first. I'd trade it in a second for an MP40.

Water Volume

Water Volume

This is purely my analysis, i beleive when it comes to gigs or mertens or magnifica 40 -100 gallons per anemone. The larger the anemone the more volume you need.

In the wild you rarely see magnfica and mertens and gigs that close to each other.

Your system is healthy the anemones just dont like each other.

Ive had problems with the following mixes

mertens vs Mag

Mertens vs gig

gig vs mag

This is purely my analysis, i beleive when it comes to gigs or mertens or magnifica 40 -100 gallons per anemone. The larger the anemone the more volume you need.

In the wild you rarely see magnfica and mertens and gigs that close to each other.

Your system is healthy the anemones just dont like each other.

Ive had problems with the following mixes

mertens vs Mag

Mertens vs gig

gig vs mag

My buddy Pete just went to the Philippines in the last year. His last trip there, he saw gigs grouped together in the shallows, with lots of macro and bugs (mysis). In those groups, he saw a couple of them touching, so close. He didn't see mags or mertens though.

Pretty sure

Pretty sure

Im dont think i have ever seen as mertens and mag or mertens and a gig very close to each other.

They are too big and territorial

Thanks for the videos. That's similar to the flow I have.

I agree about the gyre. It's a pain to adjust the cages in the water.
I cleaned mine a couple of times already and the impeller bushings began having a bit of play, so I had to stick a small piece of zip tie in the hole to add thickness, otherwise the shaft would spin freely and the propeller wouldn't move. This after just 2 times I cleaned it. Then on the third time I cleaned it the driver door wouldn't come off using the needle nose pliers, so I gave up and omitted cleaning that part. The build quality is nowhere close to that of Ecotech products, and I can see one having to buy all these small spare parts after just a few months of service which is an annoyance to say the least.

Anyway, I digress.

Your tank is pretty unique and always an inspiration for us all. I agree with reefvette though, that Mertens is a monster and if size is any indication amongst carpet anemones about stinging power, then the Mertens is the backyard bully. You should probably place more rocks to act as a barrier between it and the gigs.

I have Gigantea and Haddoni touching each other with no problem. I have not put other species of anemones toughing each other.

Back