MH burn question

clintrandall

Since I have no self-control, I just ordered a second 250W MH retro setup from Reefmax. What I'm wondering is if I can just run the unit round the clock in the spare room to burn it in? I could have my bulb where I want it in 3 days instead of a week and a half. What do you think?

Clint

Do you mean running it at night, but not over the tank? I could do that. I'm on a fixed electric bill so I'm not too worried about a small fluxuation though. I just figured it would be better for the tank if I burn it in first because once I install it, I'll have to slowly work up the burn hours to acclimate the corals. If I do it that way, it will take a few weeks to burn in the bulb.

The bugs had bitten me a year or so ago, but I think I scratched and now it's itchy!

;o)

I wouldn't reccomend this, but a month ago I went from 2 175w halides to 2 250w and 1 175w. I didn't burn in the new bulbs, reduce photo period, or any kind of acclimation. Just put in the new fixtures and continued as normal.

It's now tons brighter, so I watched the corals very closely for the first few days, but there were no problems. No bleaching, no color loss, no nucience algae.

Again, I wouldn't reccomend it, but it worked fine for me.

provided that you photo-acclimate the corals as usually recommended, IME it is unnecessary to burn in your MH bulbs.

Back