Micro solenoids for CO2 regulators

Have you looked at hooking this up to a controller or something DIY that could make adjustments to Off-Time Pot based on Ph probe readings?

Just wanted to thank Theatrus for the work you put into the project. I stumbled on this thread a few weeks ago and decided to build myself one. So far it's working great!!!
6f1da41fb4ce3845589aad46bd26381c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

I was curious if you had made any changes that you confirmed will shorten the on-time pulse of 30ms.

Thanks,

AZRipp

Hello,

I was curious if you had made any changes that you confirmed will shorten the on-time pulse of 30ms.

Thanks,

AZRipp

Not to this design. It's a bit inefficient to have a 555 with such a wide timing gap, so I'd recommend using a microcontroller.

I'm looking at integrating this with a pH circuit to get a full CO2 controller in one up on blueAcro.

I'm finding the "On Time" of 30ms is fine, but the rate of the bubbles for my CO2 reactor needs to be slower. The minimum on the potentiometer is still too fast. Is there a different potentiometer value that would allow for even slower release of bubbles?

Thanks!

I'm finding the "On Time" of 30ms is fine, but the rate of the bubbles for my CO2 reactor needs to be slower. The minimum on the potentiometer is still too fast. Is there a different potentiometer value that would allow for even slower release of bubbles?

Thanks!

You can use a larger value potentiometer or add series resistance, say 10k, to slow it down further.

<del>Theatrus, thanks for posting this!!! I put it together using the BOM and boards and the toughest thing about it was sourcing the Clippard valves. Working for months now without issue and that's saying something since I have ZERO experience working with circuit boards. I do have a question though. My tank is really starting to take off and my calcium reactor is having some trouble keeping the PH down in my CaRX. With the rate cranked as far as it can go I wanted to know if there is some modification I can make to allow for the valve to stay open longer to allow for more CO2. Appreciate the help :)</del>

Nevermind, I figured it out:rollface:

Last edited:
I am trying to adapt the control for my carbon Doser to the 0-10v output on the Apex. It seems it might be best to just make a new one from scratch that does this. Is it possible to adapt your circuit to be controlled via 0-10v signal instead of a potentiometer?

besides the Clippard mouse, there is another good one.

ASCO/numatics miniature solenoid, it is full FR 430 stainless steel structure, the low power consumption model only use 0.65 watt.

lac4zor.jpg

besides the Clippard mouse, there is another good one.

ASCO/numatics miniature solenoid, it is full FR 430 stainless steel structure, the low power consumption model only use 0.65 watt.

lac4zor.jpg

What's the size of the orfice? The Clippard is nice as it has a whole range and they are all tiny

I am trying to adapt the control for my carbon Doser to the 0-10v output on the Apex. It seems it might be best to just make a new one from scratch that does this. Is it possible to adapt your circuit to be controlled via 0-10v signal instead of a potentiometer?

You're better off making a new product for this - the 555 timer is not for voltage control. Simplest would be a tiny microcontroller with an A/D. It's possible to do without any code but it's a harder exercise.

<del>Theatrus, thanks for posting this!!! I put it together using the BOM and boards and the toughest thing about it was sourcing the Clippard valves. Working for months now without issue and that's saying something since I have ZERO experience working with circuit boards. I do have a question though. My tank is really starting to take off and my calcium reactor is having some trouble keeping the PH down in my CaRX. With the rate cranked as far as it can go I wanted to know if there is some modification I can make to allow for the valve to stay open longer to allow for more CO2. Appreciate the help :)</del>

Nevermind, I figured it out:rollface:

No worries. What value resistor did you move to?

What's the size of the orfice? The Clippard is nice as it has a whole range and they are all tiny

not sure the exact size of the orifice, but a quick PDF search will see the number.
They occupy the similar niche in the industry, they are all small orifice miniature solenoids designed for low flow, low power consumption application, but the stainless steel numatics cost more than the Clippard mouse solenoid by at least double.
Clippard mouse is better choice due to its low cost, but numatics tolerate harsher environments.

qZgsEfb.jpg

&#55357;&#56908;&#55356;&#57339;&#55357;&#56908;&#55356;&#57339; Good job &#55357;&#56397;&#55356;&#57339;
A question what side fittings come on the original solenoid valve ?

The clippard valves in question I believe have a response time of around 10ms. What did you find was a good compromise for the "on" time of the pulse. Shorter the pulse I assume gives you a smaller bubbler and vice versa with a longer "on" time.

The clippard valves in question I believe have a response time of around 10ms. What did you find was a good compromise for the "on" time of the pulse. Shorter the pulse I assume gives you a smaller bubbler and vice versa with a longer "on" time.

Pretty much. I tend to set around 50ms of on time, though I may be misremembering the time. It's usually very easily audible if you've dropped the clipboard valve time too short as the clicking stops.

Back