Minimalistic multichip DIY LED build

The 20 watts is nearly the dubble output at the same area but 10 watts give a better distribution - the old question - to the left or to the right :) I have around 50 cm deepht in my tank - 10 watts without lenses give around 120 - 150 in PAR at the bottom. But I think it would be better with lenses in this case.

Sincerely Lasse

I have 24" (60 cm) depth and these will likely be suspended 12" above the tank surface, maybe more, maybe less (I have no limit, because I have no hood let).

I'm not worried (too much) about cost at this point. If you say that 10W chips give a better distribution, do you mean that because you end up using 2x as many chips and therefore you have better blending/less spotlighting?

I forsee that with lenses, I would 1) have to mount the fixture higher 2) even higher with 20W.

I'm planning on building the fixture with the "pods" design for the multi-chip side as well, but that is difficult because of the need for the individual heat sinks - I may run out of space. So need 2x as many of the 10W chips might make the difference. Hmmm. 4" round ac-rc heat sinks and a 24" x 24" area means a maximum of 36 chips. So I guess 10W chips could not be in pods but would be pretty well blended, 20W ones could be in pods and might need the lenses...to the left, or to the right....

Apex and Meanwells

Apex and Meanwells

Do any of you dim your meanwells with an Apex controller? I posted in the Neptune section but thought I would post here just incase you dont go to the Neptune section.

The problem I'm having is that if I have them hooked up to the VAR ports for dimming the LED's constantly flicker. If I disconnect the dim and run them with no dim at all they do not flicker.

Thanks,
Tony

Do any of you dim your meanwells with an Apex controller? I posted in the Neptune section but thought I would post here just incase you dont go to the Neptune section.

The problem I'm having is that if I have them hooked up to the VAR ports for dimming the LED's constantly flicker. If I disconnect the dim and run them with no dim at all they do not flicker.

Thanks,
Tony

What kind of meanwell? There are two types of dimmer 0-10 Volt (Meanwell "D") and pwm (Meanwell "P")

Meanwell also includes both on some drivers (Meanwell "B"). The Neptune uses the 0-10V output (Meanwell "D").

What kind of meanwell? There are two types of dimmer 0-10 Volt (Meanwell "D") and pwm (Meanwell "P")

Meanwell also includes both on some drivers (Meanwell "B"). The Neptune uses the 0-10V output (Meanwell "D").

Sorry, they are the HLG-80H-48B. When I connect my meter to read the voltage it's fluctuating.

Thanks,
Tony

I have 24" (60 cm) depth and these will likely be suspended 12" above the tank surface, maybe more, maybe less (I have no limit, because I have no hood let).

I'm not worried (too much) about cost at this point. If you say that 10W chips give a better distribution, do you mean that because you end up using 2x as many chips and therefore you have better blending/less spotlighting?

I forsee that with lenses, I would 1) have to mount the fixture higher 2) even higher with 20W.

I'm planning on building the fixture with the "pods" design for the multi-chip side as well, but that is difficult because of the need for the individual heat sinks - I may run out of space. So need 2x as many of the 10W chips might make the difference. Hmmm. 4" round ac-rc heat sinks and a 24" x 24" area means a maximum of 36 chips. So I guess 10W chips could not be in pods but would be pretty well blended, 20W ones could be in pods and might need the lenses...to the left, or to the right....

I do not think you need to put the fixture higher with lenses. You will have around 90 cm depht and I think that with 60 degree lenses - you will probably have a light pattern a circle with perhaps a diameter of 80 - 90 cm at bottom of the tank. You have to test. Probably I had choisen 20 watt because if it to bright light - just dim.

Sincerely Lasse

Sorry, they are the HLG-80H-48B. When I connect my meter to read the voltage it's fluctuating.

Thanks,
Tony

The voltage from the controller? If the voltage coming out of your controller is fluctuating without being attached to the driver then there must be an issue with the controller.

I have that same driver (only the 36V one) and I have it hooked up to a POT with a 10V wall wart. I have it hooked to three drivers and it works fine. I want to connect it to my ReefKeeper so I'm interested in the outcome of your problem.

Here is the thread I started where RussM in the process of trying to help me figure it out. If you have insight can you post there so I clog this thread up with off topicness.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20614634&posted=1#post20614634

Thanks,
Tony

The voltage from the controller? If the voltage coming out of your controller is fluctuating without being attached to the driver then there must be an issue with the controller.

I have that same driver (only the 36V one) and I have it hooked up to a POT with a 10V wall wart. I have it hooked to three drivers and it works fine. I want to connect it to my ReefKeeper so I'm interested in the outcome of your problem.

The base gets its power from the EB8 which is the power strip it comes with. The base is where the dimming ports are. The irony is after I read your post and how you have a 10V wall wart, I have a spot on the base for supplemental power. Wonder if I need it. I asked in my thread in the Neptune Section. We shall see.

Thanks for the light bulb that just came on above my head!

Tony

I do not know but I had some problem with a "dirty" 1-10 V signal from my GHL Profilux 3 ex. It was some small, but fast variations in the signal and my LED flickered. It was not a meanwell driver but one of type "Steves LED" A friend of mine solve that through adding a type of filter that took the average during some short time and send that to the driver.

Sincerely Lasse

I do not know but I had some problem with a "dirty" 1-10 V signal from my GHL Profilux 3 ex. It was some small, but fast variations in the signal and my LED flickered. It was not a meanwell driver but one of type "Steves LED" A friend of mine solve that through adding a type of filter that took the average during some short time and send that to the driver.

Sincerely Lasse

RussM just posted this on my thread over in the Neptune section "I don't know how much load the HLG series place on the VS ports, but I suspect that 2 drivers is too much. The Apex can handle a load of about 20 mA on each VS port.

Check the specs for the HLGs to see if you can determine the load placed by the dimming circuitry."

I looked at the spec sheet but couldnt tell. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tony

@Tony - You might post this as a separate post on the DIY forum. There are a lot of people who know quite a lot about that driver and electronics trolling here (KCRESS and DWDM come to mind)

@Tony - You might post this as a separate post on the DIY forum. There are a lot of people who know quite a lot about that driver and electronics trolling here (KCRESS and DWDM come to mind)

That's a big 10-4. Will do it shortly. Thank you.

Tony

Gunlocators, I am in the exact same boat as you. My tank is about the same size and I need to replace bulbs asap but I think that I want to switch to LED instead of purchasing new bulbs. I just finished reading through this entire thread (took a week) and have also been considering JPCCUSA's build as well. He is using 48 Cree LEDs. I really like the multichip idea but due to the size and expenses I am leaning towards the 48 Cree rather due to cost and how well his design is layed out. I think i can just follow the plans exactly as he did and have a great light.

Does anyone have any ideas (pros/cons) about the two designs? I would like to compare the two and get the best design for my tank and budget.

Thanks for the great thread and tons of information. Between this thread and the other one I have learned so much about LEDs.

Back