Most colorful fairy/ flasher wrasses...

Fairies...Lineatus, Flame, Scotts, Pink Margin, Hooded

Flashers....Yellow Fin, Red Tail, Linespot, Diamond Tail (P. attenuatus)

It's really subjective though, which ever ones you like the most.

+1... All the above are nice choices

I would add rhomboid to the list of fairies, as well as lubbocks from Bali, which cant be beat as far as bang for buck.

i don't think there's an "ugly" wrasse out there! my yellow fin is stunning and my red velvet fairy is really an eye catcher (both males). but if i had to pick a favorite of all the wrasses, i'd have to say i love my vrolik's wrasse for the color. :)

hey morgan, how's little wrassie doing? did you put him in your dt yet??

Almost all are quite colorful; that's a part of what makes them great. :)

It'd be much easier for me to name the ones which are not always so colorful.

I would add rhomboid to the list of fairies, as well as lubbocks from Bali, which cant be beat as far as bang for buck.

oooooooh, definitely. Can't believe I left those two out. I miss my Lubbocks, never should have let him go.

I also thought about another flasher...Eightline.

Like Evolved said they're all beautiful. Just read Hunters article about wrasses to help you avoid species that won't play nice with each other and you're golden.

A full grown orange back fairy wrasse, Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis, is hard to beat. A relatively common fish, but one you don't hear much about.

A full grown orange back fairy wrasse, Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis, is hard to beat. A relatively common fish, but one you don't hear much about.

Yes, although in my experience this particular species loses its color intensity relatively quickly in captivity.

Since this thread is worthless without pics, here are some of my Fairy & Flashers:

C. earlie (I lost this one :( I have a young male now, that is growing crazy fast!):

C. lubbocki (w/ juvenile P. bellae in background):

C. labouti:

C. cf lanceolatus (juvenile):

C. jordani (transitioning to male):

C. bathyphilus (w/ P. bellae in background):

P. bellae:

P. attenuatus:

Hmmm...

That hasn't been my experience. Here is a shot of one of three in my care. One has a broken back, but all three are at least 6 inches.

Yes, although in my experience this particular species loses its color intensity relatively quickly in captivity.

I wasn't aware of that. How quickly ate you talking about? I've had a large male for over a year and if anything its colors are more vivid then when I got it.

I wasn't aware of that. How quickly ate you talking about? I've had a large male for over a year and if anything its colors are more vivid then when I got it.

I have had a half dozen over the years, all have lost the intensity of color in about 3-4 months.

Mikes... What do you feed to keep their color?
MarshallO.... I think the Australian have more white. Yours looks great though. I haven't seen the Vanuatu before. Looks the same to me!

Back