Mounting SPS plugs on aquascape

JohnL

RC Staff
Staff member
Admin
Any good techniques you can share? Super glue or epoxy? Drilling holes in live rock? Looking for advice.

I prefer to use frag plug with holes in them. I use a dab super glue gel and some accelerator.
Then rinse and put in aquarium.
There are a few places now making frag plugs with holes.
1651855810073.png

SPS are easy, now softies are a pain to frag and mount.

I prefer to use frag plug with holes in them. I use a dab super glue gel and some accelerator.
Then rinse and put in aquarium.
There are a few places now making frag plugs with holes.
View attachment 32371459

SPS are easy, now softies are a pain to frag and mount.
I mean how do you attach the plugs to your aquascape?

I edited the thread title.

Just cut the post off (bones shears, coral cutters) and as mentioned superglue gel into place ( big glob). Excelerator has to be sprayed on outside the water so not much use unless you are going to pull your rockwork out of the tank to do this. SUper glue is best, two part epoxy sucks under water IMO.

I see you were discussing this elsewhere. Besides coral cutters, if you have a dremel these diamond cutting wheels work great. I use them for fragging LPS skeletons which they zip right through and frag plugs are no problem either. They struggle a bit on live rock but will still work albeit slower. I have exactly these ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Cutting-Cut-off-Blades-Oudtinx/dp/B07PD2262T/ref=sr_1_11?crid=BMKPQEO45122&keywords=Oudtinx&qid=1651870070&sprefix=oudtinx,aps,517&sr=8-11

51FSVDIfFKL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

I see you were discussing this elsewhere. Besides coral cutters, if you have a dremel these diamond cutting wheels work great. I use them for fragging LPS skeletons which they zip right through and frag plugs are no problem either. They struggle a bit on live rock but will still work albeit slower. I have exactly these ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Cutting-Cut-off-Blades-Oudtinx/dp/B07PD2262T/ref=sr_1_11?crid=BMKPQEO45122&keywords=Oudtinx&qid=1651870070&sprefix=oudtinx,aps,517&sr=8-11

51FSVDIfFKL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg
I sense a gadget 🤔

The dremel is kind of a standard tool I think ( the rotary one). Just be the accessories that change the price. I'm actually using a 20+ yr old Sears knock off that still works fine.

Any good techniques you can share? Super glue or epoxy? Drilling holes in live rock? Looking for advice.

I use the epoxy/glue method. I knead a small ball of epoxy and shape it like a pyramid. I put some superglue on the bottom of the epoxy pyramid and put it on the rock work. I will knead it into place for a good base foundation. Then i will push the epoxy down a little bit to create a flat spot for the plug. Then I cut the stem off the frag plug and dry the bottom of the plug off by dabbing on paper towel. I put superglue on the bottom of the plug and then put it on the epoxy pyramid. While pushing into the pyramid I will give it a turn.

Works everytime and pretty well. Can pretty much mount corals anywhere with this method.

Back