Moving To Sacramento

bigmus

Hi all,

Just I'm moving to Sacramento from Colorado in about 4 weeks and 4 days and was wondering if you guys and gals can fill me on the saltwater scene in the area, I have a 120 mixed but SPS dominate tank and wonder who has good SPS and also I'd need to get about 150 gallons of water, so wha stores in the area I can reach out to so I can order it and have it on standby! Any and all info would help! Thanks in advance,

Happy Reefing!

Jay

Welcome to Sacramento. Your Reef in Roseville is one of the better SPS stores. The others are decent but John specializes in SPS and also has a good web reputation with his website of the same name. He can probably hook you up with the water you need.

I agree with Brandon and will also add that there are others here that have beautiful tanks and do sell frags once in awhile. There definitely isn't a shortage of SPS tanks around the Sacramento area

Cool, Thanks for the info, any insight on areas out there, there are two places in Fair Oaks that I am coming out this weds for a week to look for a home, I work in Rancho Cordova so I was looking at places near work...

Thanks! I actually google searched and called them a few days but didn't get an answer, I see they open at 11 today, I will call when they open!

I'm curious how you transport 150 gallons of salt water? I could make 100 gallons for you, but I don't have a way to move it.

As said above, we have a great local reef scene.

since I live in Fair Oaks and have lived on the east side and the west side of town, my suggestion would be the east side of Fair Oaks because the schools are better. Near Bella Vista High School would be good. The school district is San Juan Unified School District and you can make out which schools are doing better then others from their site also.

I could also make RO/DI water for you if you like. I current have 2 - 55 gallon drums that i could have ready when you need but would need a few days to start the water going. However, I don't have any way of transporting those barrels but we could put them into smaller buckets if need be.

Welcome to the area, we are a very fortunate location to have so many reef stores. Are you bringing the tank/livestock with you? That's a big job.

Nice, thanks for that bit of info, its hard trying to figure out and entire area based off google maps haha, I have 2 places on the east side of fair oaks that I have scheduled to take a look at once I get there! I'm really trying to avoid starting all over! I've done that twice already, and I'm hoping I don't have to do that again!

Yes, I'm going to ship my tank with the furniture, and overnight the corals.. still deciding on the fish, I may just get new fish once I get up and running again

Most businesses have IBC tanks or large water storage containers, throw it on the back of a pick up fill it with a hose and pump, if not it will be a lot of runs to the store with the 6 gallon containers haha

If you are seriously interested in the Fair Oaks area, then Your Reef is a great option for water, corals, and fish. We live in Fair Oaks and it is no more than 10 - 15 minutes to drive there. We have been loyal customers for many years

1967...of topic...

1967...of topic...

Used to live in SMF....way out Watt avenue past U street on the right was base housing for McClellan AFB. Back then was common to see pheasants fly across the road...a lot one you got past U street. Went to Roseville High...pretty much just farm lands as you headed towards Roseville the back way. Looking at google earth...looks like the old base housing is pretty much run down...how is that area these days?

Went to Sierra collage and drove my 1958 TR3 everyday, was only one exit for Rocklin back then...google earth shows a bit different story now.

Used to party a lot in Grass Valley and Rough and ready....hey it WAS the 60's....lol

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

The wife and I fly out on sunday we'll be there for a week so I will get a chance to see the area first hand, hopefully I'll get to visit the store as well, we have a few appointments for homes to look at from Rancho Cordova, Sac and a few in Fair Oaks, there was one in roseville but we eliminated it from the list.. I think

If you don't end up super close to Your Reef, there are still tons of other reliable stores in the Sacramento area.
AquaWorkz always has choice LPS and other coral colonies in stock and Splash Aquarium has some of the healthiest saltwater fish I've ever seen.
There's plenty of stores to explore in our area and I suggest you check them all out at least once; welcome to Sac!

I moved out here from Denver two years ago. Definitely a few good stores around, and a huge network of reefers.

Were you a member of MASC?

Back