MP40 reshaping sand bed?

Molter

Hey, so I had an issue in the sand on the right side of my 75 gallon center-drilled tank (the side my MP40 is on) is creating a bit of a "mountain" in which the sand gradually rises to a peak then has a significant "valley" right before the wall of the tank.

I thought it was because of the engineer goby that took residence under the rocks behind it, so I moved the rocks and got rid of the goby.

That said, the same issue is back, so it's clearly a result of the powerhead.
I don't have it set very high at all, (or at least I don't think it is), so I'm kinda at a loss on what to do.

Has anyone had this issue or dealt with it before? If so, we're you able to solve it, or is this just something that I have to deal with?

Relevant: My sand bed is roughly 4 inches deep and if you want to see my settings my Apex name mmolter.

Thanks y'all!

Any PH will do that, might need to change it around some or adjust flow, maybe bounce it off a panel or if that wells then try the long run from sides, each tank will be different depending on dims and scape, takes some playing around usually to find that sweet spot.

Yep, you just need to play around with the flow patterns and positioning. I don't think it looks bad the way it is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, I actually prefer some valleys and mounds of sand if it stays kinda that way, sometimes a flat rock placed where it wells keeps it from continuing to the point of glass bottom being exposed.

Just raise the pump up some in the tank... maybe tilt the flow upwards

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I don't have a very large tank only 65gallons and I have two mp40s plus a 1500gph korralia and just today I figured out the sweet spot for the entire day of several modes. I had to move one down lower. One up higher and close to the front glass but not too close and put them on anti synch. But they are still cranking and not re arranging my sand which helps maintain the foam head in the skimmer

What grade of sand are you using? With fine grain sand, it is often difficult to avoid sandstorms with Vortechs because of the inability to adjust the direction of the flow output. I remember when the Vortechs first came out, people found success with Caribsea special grade sand as it was a coarser, heavier grade of sand. These days, it seems that many are a big fan of Tropic Eden reef flakes. I use the Caribsea special grade sand and can crank my Vortechs up pretty high with no issues.

What grade of sand are you using? With fine grain sand, it is often difficult to avoid sandstorms with Vortechs because of the inability to adjust the direction of the flow output. I remember when the Vortechs first came out, people found success with Caribsea special grade sand as it was a coarser, heavier grade of sand. These days, it seems that many are a big fan of Tropic Eden reef flakes. I use the Caribsea special grade sand and can crank my Vortechs up pretty high with no issues.

Interesting.
I have CaribSea Fiji Pink.
... Starting to think that might be the issue.

The finer the sand the worse the problem becomes with any powerhead..

Either move the powerhead, reduce flow, change out the sand or add some coarser sand on top of the existing sand..

Back