My 180 (I can't wait) Upgrade

Matt - You have upgraded and upgraded to a really sweet set up! Congrats to you, I love your enthusiasm keep it up!

Update

Update

Ok update on the tank....Still having issues with green algae. I started Bio-pellets on Nov. 8th. Started out with 125 ml, adding 100 ml every week, I'm up to 700 ml. I'm also dosing 40 ml of vinegar everyday until a start seeing the G/A residing. On a side note, Being I started out slow on the bio-pellets I had no cloudy tank or big Bloom. I have the skimmer dialed in finally, That was a pain. pic below is after 10 days...

Attachments

• IMG_20150101_110916_580.jpg
    IMG_20150101_110916_580.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1
Looks like a big cup of skimmate to me. Hey Matt I had to remove my pellets from the system, I started no too long after you did and as soon as they got going good I ended up with dinos and gha. I've been battling them for almost 3 weeks now to the point I removed 90% of my rock and scrubbed it to remove all the nasty stuff and then put most of it in the sump. Now I'm running my pH at 8.5-8.6 to see if the dinos will stay gone. I don't know what it is with pellets it seems sometimes they are great sometimes they are problematic

Looks like a big cup of skimmate to me. Hey Matt I had to remove my pellets from the system, I started no too long after you did and as soon as they got going good I ended up with dinos and gha. I've been battling them for almost 3 weeks now to the point I removed 90% of my rock and scrubbed it to remove all the nasty stuff and then put most of it in the sump. Now I'm running my pH at 8.5-8.6 to see if the dinos will stay gone. I don't know what it is with pellets it seems sometimes they are great sometimes they are problematic

Did you start out slow like I did? I believe the reason I haven't had a problem with Dino's and GHA is I started out slow and I have a monster of a skimmer..lol

Yeah Matt I started out slow and didn't even make it to the recommended amount for my water volume. I did notice they were working great for nitrates and phosphates I think they dropped the nitrate levels too far and allowed the dinos to take hold so I will start a lot slower after this battle is over or might just stay with gfo to keep the nitrate level up just a little. I also have a forest of mangroves taking root so I might be OK without pellets.

I also had those problems withcarbon dosing. Thats the same as pellets.

Hey Roger everything I read is dinos love low nutrients and they use carbon source for food then out compete the good bacteria is that sound right?

Updated Pics

Updated Pics

New Pics

Attachments

• 20150301_145038.jpg
    20150301_145038.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20150301_145046.jpg
    20150301_145046.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1
Back