My 20 long nano bare bottom

All good so far, they ate a bit and ammonia hasn't spiked so I'll keep a fresh bucket of salt handy for changes. No gasping no erratic behavior. Crossing my fingers.

I plan to do the full transfer method and hold in qt until tank is clear. I'm hoping by the end of April the chances of ich are none existent .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my leds today. Super excited I'll make a write up when I've had then for a while.

Fish got flipped to a fresh tank last night and seem well. I finished the all in one in another 20 long and I'll keep them in that as quarantine until display is clear or ich in April.

Last flip is tonight. They are being flipped into the quarantine tank they will be held in until they can go back to the display. It's an all in one I built from a 20 long and glass from a 10 gallon I got for free. Three chambers, overflow to middle media chamber and return chamber. The seals leak a bit but not significantly it's because I rushed the silicone job. It's got a basic freshwater lamp with Timer on it for light.

It's a barectank with pvc hides a heater and a new ammonia alert. I used a bottled bacteria supplement and bottled bacteria to jump start the eheim subtrat.

The fish look fine and get along.

And the flame is rubbing gills and the pseudo has some fin rot. I'm at a loss here. Any advice? I'll see if spots come back and if not then I'll treat for parasites.

New light and steady parameters and my coralline algae and corals are doing GREAT!

On the other hand the flame angel went into an overflow and fatigued itself and died. No more fish for me.

Not unless a nameless benefactor wants to get me a Pygmy angelfish. Lol

My shrimp has a clutch of eggs on it. Wut do?

Attachments

• IMG_6253.jpg
    IMG_6253.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 5
Are you actually feeding brine shrimp, or were you just meaning they love shrimp eggs from your shrimp?

Brine shrimp are good for stimulating feeding, but they're not nutritionally useful for fishes. People have compared them to "the potato chips of aquarium fish". They'll like it, they'll eat it, but it's not good for them. Mysis should get the same response, but are much healthier nutritionally.

One of the clowns isn't touching mysis. It only likes brine shrimp. It may be eating pellets I'll post back tomorrow after watching closely.

Clownfish are eating pellets now and are fat and healthy. Shrimp still molting once a month. I had my coralline algae recede on me. One chalice frag melted. All else looks ok but not really growing. Purple pseudo in the sump is happy and fat too. Not producing much skim any more. Added an air stone to the sump for higher ph.

All in all same

In actuality I'm kind of bored with it all. Don't get me wrong I love it to death. But where my life is I can't afford any new corals to fill it up and the ones inside the tank aren't growing much. I do water changes and clean equipment and am actually considering going skimmerless because it's bare bottom and I don't keep nutrients around much. I melt softies with how low it is and I work so much I don't sit and enjoy it. Corals are expensive and people don't actually want to trade in my area, they just want cash. It's disheartening to be in a hobby where it's only a business and not fun.

Last edited:
maybe its all just impatience. I want to have more millepora and montipora digitata but I just don't have money. I'd like to buy big colonies and just paste them In the tank and call it a day.

I can maintain coral color's I just can't spark fast growth, or any growth for that matter, it all seems to happen in spurts and sputters, I try to maintain the parameters stable and it somehow gets out of hand.

Maybe I need to just hang out with more reef keepers in my area and make friends.

Pvc return broke on me today while trying to remove it from the tank because flow has been less than stellar. After the break though I found a rubber grommet stuck in the return pipes. Looks like it came from a ball joint for a power head. Or maybe I'm missing a grommet somewhere. Or maybe the kids got it in the sump. Either way I'm waiting for pvc cement to cure as we speak to turn the flow on again. Also added another screw on union so it's easier to remove in the future.

Still bored though.

maybe its all just impatience. I want to have more millepora and montipora digitata but I just don't have money. I'd like to buy big colonies and just paste them In the tank and call it a day.

I can maintain coral color's I just can't spark fast growth, or any growth for that matter, it all seems to happen in spurts and sputters, I try to maintain the parameters stable and it somehow gets out of hand.

Maybe I need to just hang out with more reef keepers in my area and make friends.

Believe me, you'll have growth. Just keep parameters in line, don't mess with too much at once, and you'll get growth.

Sorry you've had trouble and it's been a rough and sometimes disappointing road. I definitely know the feeling. I'm pretty rejuvenated from having an experienced tank maintenance guy come by and do some work (removing bubble algae) and having him make some suggestions on ways to improve my tank. You could have some local reefers come by and make recommendations (though they'd likely recommend going slow and steady :p ).

Where are you located? If you were in the NYC area, I'd be happy to throw you some corals (pieces to fill your tank, if you wanted).

Lol I appreciate the kind words. I know it's mostly my own impatience with the slow and steady of it.

On the upside I love the led that I got from eBay and my corals aren't dead. I love the clownfish but they tend to stay in a corner when the flow is on in the tank and only explore when I'm turning the pump off for maintenance.

I'm in Colorado unfortunately but thank you! Maybe I haven't met those reefers out here that are more trade and exchange oriented. And I'd love to join a club but making meetings is hard because I work nights as a chef.

I'll be more patient for now and watch my tank grow.

Back