My 210 tank build

screamincamaro

Ok I've been kind of quiet the last month of two but have been busy. I sold the wife on how nice the tank would look if it was on the other side of the wall as an in wall tank. I dont' think she thought I was serioius until she saw the hole.

I got a great deal on a 210 gal from Faois and was able to pick up a 125 gal tank for a sump from someone local. Here's a couple pics of the progression. The deal I made with the wife was i had to refinish the room before I could finish the tank so here it is.

The room started out builders white and I chose to paint it blue/light blue.

So I painted the room. Pulled up the carpet and started to cut out the area where the tank would be.

DSC05313.jpg

It ended up being a little more work than anticipated and it took me a little while to figure the multiple 2x4 was a sheer wall and not load bearing. I ended cutting the boards off and mounting a header above where the aquarium would go.

Starting to frame out the stand:

DSC05317.jpg

DSC05318.jpg

Cut the hole in the wall and lifted the tank up on the stand with the help of some great local reefers.

DSC05320.jpg

You can see the new tank behind my current one.

DSC05319.jpg

Floated some flooring with my helpers.

Copyof100_6362.jpg

I made use of the water barrels. I have almost everything plumbed. I have a brand new blueline on my old tank that I will steal for water changes once I take it down. I plan on running PVC up into the attic and to the new tank for convenience.

The top one is full of RO already. I plan to use the pump to circulate the salt mix in the lower one, pump it to the aquarium, and possbily an ATO. I will run another PVC from the tank to a drain using the tank pump.

DSC05365.jpg

Ok, so now back to the tank. I have the sump in place and starting to fill the tank with RO last night.

DSC05363.jpg

Came home today and not even half full. This is going to take a while. I threw a couple of bags of sand in also that is why the water is cloudy.

DSC05364.jpg

Last edited:
very nice progression i have always wanted a inwall

it did kinda throw me for a loop at the beginning when i read i sold the wife...... i was like hmm if i sold mine i could do a inwall too

loks nice keep up the progression pics

My existing tank is actually pretty quiet for being in the living room. A good portion is because I have drain/return lines running to the sump in another room.

By moving the tank to the other side of the wall I get to reclaim some space in my living room and I wont' be able to hear anything.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14727512#post14727512 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by screamincamaro
My existing tank is actually pretty quiet for being in the living room. A good portion is because I have drain/return lines running to the sump in another room.

By moving the tank to the other side of the wall I get to reclaim some space in my living room and I wont' be able to hear anything.

Except..."That's new, I don't remember that one." Or is that just me?:lol:

No that one has been there for a while.......

or

Even better I just went over to my friend Marks house and he hooked me up. :D

This has been taking longer than I hoped but now that I have the honey do's out of the way I should be able to make some good progress.

Both the tank and sump are full with RO now. I've added 160lbs of Carib Sea Seafloor dry sand and 20lbs of Carib Sea Bahamas Oolite live sand. I'll probably also grab a cup or two of sand from my old aquarium to help seed the sandbed.

I've also hooked up the Dart pump and some temporary plumbing to circulate the water and mix the salt. This weekend I'll make durso drains and finish the actual plumbing. I'll use all four predrilled holes for drains and plan on using two 1" Sea Swirls to randomize the return flow.

Hopefully everything will be cycled by next couple of days where I may be able to start moving things over next weekend. I also still need to make some new screen tops to minimize carpet surfing.

I'm looking into converting my Euro-Reef RS250 to a recirculating skimmer to increase its efficiency and stick with my original plan of reusing as much of my existing equipment as possible.

aquapic.jpg

Last edited:
Everything seems to be pretty stable in the tank so far. I started pulling out any live rock from my display that didnt' have something encrusted on it and dropped it in the sump.

A lot of the colonies are to the size I can't move them without hitting against something or breaking branches.

Here is my elective green birdsnest that I managed to get out.

DSC05383.jpg

I'm going to move a lot of the smaller live rock in the sump and just keep a handful of large unique pieces in the display. This way it should make more room for the fish to swim and corals to grow out.

Moving right along man. Looks good.

Is that running now with no Dursos? Before I put the durso's in my dual overflow 120, it was LOUD!!!!!!!

Starting out I needed to get the water flowing to mix the salt. Just got the dursos together today. It was so loud without them you couldnt' watch TV in the next room.... LOL

Tomorrow I'm going to finish the return plumbing under the tank. it think I figured a way to tuck it real nice out of sight.

Don't worry have the perfect spot picked out for those PH.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14762490#post14762490 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by screamincamaro

Don't worry have the perfect spot picked out for those PH.

Your not going to give up..are you?:lol:

Back