My 210 tank build

Anybody have luck/commentary on plumbing the drain directly into the skimmer? I'm considering trying this when I convert my skimmer to a recirculating.

Finished the drain plumbing this weekend and I'm very happy with how it turned out.

DSC05384.jpg

DSC05385.jpg

The only thing I don't think I'm happy with is the layout of the sump. I strayed from the original plan and I wish I wouldn't have. I really want to keep a fuge and some live rock in different compartments. I may come back next weekend and move the one compartment over to make more room next weekend.

sump.jpg

I like the second, desired layout or you could just add another baffle and split up the fuge or live rock section in the current layout and put the rock in the first section and fuge in the second.

Ok I have some updates.

I originally was thinking of doing a DSB with a plenum in the tank and instead ended up going with a 2-3" sand bed.

So in the sump fuge area I'm going to do the DSB with a plenum.

DSC05398.jpg

DSC05399.jpg

I went ahead and changed the layout of the sump like I wanted. I pulled out the plexi it was bowing pretty good so I had some glass compartments cut and it works a lot better. You can see the plenum in the left hand side compartment...... just need to add sand.

DSC05401.jpg

Since project funds are getting tight instead of purchasing one of those new fancy skimmers I'm going to convert my Euro-reef RS250 into a recirulating skimmer. I figure I should be able to get a little more out of it that way. I already have the eheim pump so it should be a cheap upgrade.

The addtional parts I need to do the conversion should be on the way. I will need to drill a couple of holes in the body and put it together.

DSC05400.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14727404#post14727404 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mrferrit

it did kinda throw me for a loop at the beginning when i read i sold the wife...... i was like hmm if i sold mine i could do a inwall too

You guys got it all wrong.... you give her away... then the real money comes when they pay you to take her back...

You can do that over and over...

LMAO...

Brian it is really looking good...

Thanks man I appreciate it. I'im just trying to make sure I get it right the first time. There won't be any doing it a second time any time soon. I think I'm getting pretty close though. I've moved a couple fish over already, they are doing good, and no detectable ammonia so I'm going to start moving more fish over to the new tank.

I'm happy with how it is turning out and the only thing I wish I would of done different is had the overflows on the ends of the tank this way it would be completely viewable from both sides. It's not really a big deal but after I got it up and full of water I thought it would of been kinda of cool. You can still view from the back room but you see the overflows. I wont' lose any sleep over it since the goal was to have it viewable from the living room.

I was able to get about 80lb of sand in the fuge mixed with a cup of old sand from my display. It's currently around 4.5" deep. I'll pick up another 20lb bag during the week to get the DSB 5-6" deep.

You can see I've been pulling out rock from my old display that didnt' have anything encrusted. I'll have to figure out later what rock will stay in the sump and how to arrange the ones that end up in the display.

DSC05404.jpg

I haven't decide yet but I'm thinking of creating another compartment between the fuge & live rock where the filter socks will go. I would raise the divider up about an inch so it would force the water down/under and back up the next compartment so the water would always be running through the live rock instead of just over the top. The alternative is just put the filter socks in the live rock area and stack the rock to the right. I'm probably overthinking it.

Either way it will take a little rerouting of my plumbing to move the socks.

I'm anticipating on using my four drains as follows:

Small left drain - compartment #1 fuge
Large left drain - compartment #2 filter sock 1
Large right drain - compartment #2 filter sock 2
Small right drain - compartment #3 plumb directly into skimmer ???

Last edited:
I like the idea of adding another baffle. You better hurry up and make up your mind though. You are getting close to being done.

I think you are right and I'll add the extra compartment next weekend and it should make it a little more efficient.

Trying to pull the rock out of my display I broke a bunch of pieces off of my colonies since there just wasn't enough room to maneuver. I busted up my bonsai and insane mille pretty good.

I had to pull a few colonies out to be able to move things around.

Golden Birdsnest
DSC05402.jpg

Mystery blue Acro
DSC05403.jpg

It's funny how big a difference these colors look under our lighting + actinics. Under regular room light I'd call them all brown. :D

broken pieces = frags for sale...

I have my socks on top of my liverock in the sump seems to work pretty well and the socks are a little higher than normal which makes for eaiser cleaning.

ok I made the changes to the sump, added some more sand to the fuge, and I'm very happy how it turned out. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the baffle between the skimmer and ATO. I tend to think I will not need it but will figure it out when I get the skimmer together (parts not arrived yet). This is the design I ended up with for the sump:

sumpdesign.jpg

DSC05435.jpg

I moved the lights, a couple of the fish, and some of my SPS colonies last night. I'll move the live rock this weekend along with the rest of the livestock.

DSC05436.jpg

DSC05437.jpg

More to come.....

Thanks I appreciate the positive feedback.

Today while taking the live rock out I found my mystery crab that's been moving stuff around. The thing has grown huge. I dont' think it's a bad crab and it's never eaten or bothered anything in my tank. I've seen it at night poking out between the rocks to pick at algae. The end of his claws are not pointed either but instead flat so it can scrap stuff off the rocks I guess. Poof! Banished to the refugium.

DSC05440.jpg

Here is it is so far. I haven't put much thought into arrangning the stuff I'm just trying to get eveyrthing moved before end of today. I did spend some time with the rocks and used some rods to get the rock to do what I wanted. I can't get a front shot because my old tank is still against the wall.

Hopefully I'll have my 150 gal moved out of the living room tomorrow.

After I get everything moved over I'll come back later and rearrange it.

DSC05448.jpg

For some reason even going to a bigger aquarium it feels like I don't have enough room. Probably because it's hard to position some of the larger colonies.

That crab is just about identical to an Emerald beside color.

The build is coming alond nicely. I want to sneak over there and steal some ideas from your sump.

Back