My 90 gallon build thread ...

So haven't updated my thread in a while. I lost everything. Corals and fish. I had a nasty bacteria bloom and couldn't get rid of it. I lost my corals overnight and then my fish a couple of days later. So fast forward a few months and I now I'm going to start over. I let the tank run with the lights off and the starfish population exploded and now everything is clean.I am going to put fish in it in a couple of weeks.

Henry do you think the bacteria bloom was from the Acropower ?
The reason I ask is I have a bottle sitting here waiting to try. I was told just to start with half the recommended dose.

Damn Henry, sorry to hear...were you running some type of carbon dosing? What was the last thing that changed when it happened?

NOT sure if it was acropower. I know that people are using it with great success.All of my levels were good. I had this nasty brown stuff growing and no matter what I did it I couldn't get it to go away. I really believe that it was a bacteria bloom in the tank. Corals were looking great and encrusting and growing. The fish were fat and happy too. Sitting here looking at my tank I see pods,snails and limpets. Maybe I should have waited longer to cycle the tank. Anyway I'm gonna wait a few more weeks and then start adding stuff again.

NOT sure if it was acropower. I know that people are using it with great success.All of my levels were good. I had this nasty brown stuff growing and no matter what I did it I couldn't get it to go away. I really believe that it was a bacteria bloom in the tank. Corals were looking great and encrusting and growing. The fish were fat and happy too. Sitting here looking at my tank I see pods,snails and limpets. Maybe I should have waited longer to cycle the tank. Anyway I'm gonna wait a few more weeks and then start adding stuff again.

Henry,
I use acropower but I only add 60 ml once per week if I am home. I started using Ozone a couple of years ago to get rid of cyanobacteria that show up everyonce in a while. I keep track of ORP to monitor water clarity and cleanliness. I run biopellets and add MB7 every once in a while too to keep the beneficial bacteria population going.

So I added a couple of sps frags two weeks ago. So far so good. I have good color and polyp extension. I decided that I'm just going to add frags and let the system do the rest. I will be adding fish in a couple of weeks.

Back