My Derasa Clam did a 180.

RussC

Hey guys. First time clam owner. Picked up a beautiful Derasa. I understand they are hardier than many of the clam species. This thing is fascinating. Long of the short of it, the clam has literally spun a half circle. Its turned around about 180 degrees. What's up? Normal? Or is its way of saying, look at me, I need something. Other than that, opening just great and seems very healthy. Thought I'd reach out to the experts, though. Doesn't hurt to ask...

More then likely it is the flow or the light. They will turn to get more light & they will also turn if the flow isn’t comfortable for them. It doesn’t mean something is wrong, they are just getting comfortable. I’m no expert on clams but I have owned quite a few & this has usually been my experience

exactly what Lsufan said. they will also tend to line themselves up with lights (especially LED) to get the maximum amount of light they can.

that's the most frustrating thing about clams, they're able to move. i can glue a coral down in place and ain't a damn thing it's doing about that. a clam will just move itself, usually in to the most inconvenient position possible. ;)

Hey guys. First time clam owner. Picked up a beautiful Derasa. I understand they are hardier than many of the clam species. This thing is fascinating. Long of the short of it, the clam has literally spun a half circle. Its turned around about 180 degrees. What's up? Normal? Or is its way of saying, look at me, I need something. Other than that, opening just great and seems very healthy. Thought I'd reach out to the experts, though. Doesn't hurt to ask...

Let him go where he wants to go!

Back