My journey using Chloroquine Phosphate begins...

I have been using CP for the past 4 years, maintaining 40mg/g continuously in my QT system. I have never experienced an ammonia spike or any deleterious effects on biological filtration. I currently have an Achilles that has been in QT with CP at 40mg/g for the past 5 months, doing well, eating and growing.

While anecdotal only, I have not experienced any significant detriment to the biofilter while treating with CP. I also noticed in that same post the copper is stated to affect not only the theront stage, but also the tomont stage. This is news to me, as I thought all medications targeting cryptocaryon affected the theront stage only.

Folks reporting biological filtration issues may be using other medication. I use prazi and metro prior to cp treatment in the qt

Also note that the master sticky does advocate the use of CP in some circumstances even while mentioning the literature debate about it. Billsreef has used it thousands of times with good results. This thread is an excellent one which should be continued. At some point, perhaps someone will summarize the thread?

The only ill effect is this red fuzzy algae growning on the live rocks and it's not cyno bacteria that he can tell as he's tried every treatment for cyno and nothing gets rid of it. I've been stopping by about every 3 months and discussing CP with the dealer and this is my observation. Anyone know what that red fuzz is and how to get rid of? It's started showing up after about 6 to 8 months of CP use.

I have observed this as well, particularly when I dosed my DT with CP a few months ago. I suspect it is indeed cyano, but microscopic examination is likely needed to confirm.

I know my local dealer, the only shop locally that uses CP for quarantine, has been using CP for 11 month on his main quarantine and holding system as well as one display tank. In QT/holding,he has it at 60mg/gal and fishes come in and out all month long. In his display tank, he is testing at 40mg/gal as there is no disease, but just as a test what the long term effects may be. The advantage is no algae for almost a year now. He can see no ill effects with fish or bacteria bed whatsoever and not a sign episode of ammonia spike. The only ill effect is this red fuzzy algae growning on the live rocks and it's not cyno bacteria that he can tell as he's tried every treatment for cyno and nothing gets rid of it. I've been stopping by about every 3 months and discussing CP with the dealer and this is my observation. Anyone know what that red fuzz is and how to get rid of? It's started showing up after about 6 to 8 months of CP use.

Interesting. I had the red fuzz as well - ended up taking over my tank and I eventually broke the tank down. I've studied this organism (and other cyanobacteria) ever since, and even took some photos through my microscope of it. I'll try to post them elsewhere.

My advice is this - get rid of the bright red fuzz (mine started in small clumps) ASAP. I will post more of my experiences and what I've learned since when I have time.

Nick

I also have the red fuzz in a QT tank running CP for years, tried Chemiclean, had no effect, there was also no effect on livestock combining Chemiclean with CP

red fuzz appears to be photosynthetic as it grows with more exposure to light. I have another tank with CP that gets very little light and has a small area of red fuzz only where there is light exposure, it may be a type of red algae that is immune to CP....

Next, when the latest inhabitants are out I'll dose the tank with H202

Anyone done cp with prazi?

They can be used together safely. However, my understanding is that praziquantel's effectiveness is reduced when used in conjunction with CP. Best to treat with each med separately to ensure you are maximizing effectiveness.

I also have the red fuzz in a QT tank running CP for years, tried Chemiclean, had no effect, there was also no effect on livestock combining Chemiclean with CP

red fuzz appears to be photosynthetic as it grows with more exposure to light. I have another tank with CP that gets very little light and has a small area of red fuzz only where there is light exposure, it may be a type of red algae that is immune to CP....

Next, when the latest inhabitants are out I'll dose the tank with H202

Hydrogen peroxide is one of the few things I did not try.

If it's the same organism I had it's a type of cyanobacteria that bores into rock (won't just blow off and is difficult to scrape off completely even with a toohbrush). It's photosynthetic, so complete dark-out of a tank for a few days kills it, but ANY light leaking into the tank will be used by some of the cyanobacterial cells to survive. Chemi-clean will not kill it. Tetracycline will, however. Still, I've not ever been able to keep it out of my tanks for long periods. It seems to like Phosphate, but like other cyanobacteria is not dependent on it for growth (light is enough).

Whatever you do, please do not let it get into your DTs. It ended up covering all of my rocks. I've just acid-washed my rocks and made sure they do not leech out any more phosphate. I'm aquascaping now, and will hopefully get my DT back up and running in a couple of months. It's still in my QTs, though, on the glass and Tetracycline did not kill it fully there, so I will probably reintroduce it when I put my fish back in. What I am hoping to do is to "seed" the dry rock with beneficial bacteria (bottled) under full dark-out conditions for a few weeks so that a stable biofilm covers all of the tank surfaces and does not allow the cyano easy access to the rock when a few cells do get in. I'm also hoping to get coralline algae to grow on the rocks in the hope that this will also help prevent a large outbreak of this bright red cyanobacteria.

Another fun type of cyano that grew after I used CP in my DT is a green filamentous type that is also rock-boring, but also grew in very high flow areas (like the output of my Koralias). Under the microscope it looks similar to callothrix. Lovely stuff. Also hard to remove from surfaces. I had single filaments of the stuff growing inches away from each other before I broke the tank down. Fun stuff. This stuff worries me more than the red cyano...

Neither may have anything to do with Chloroquine Phosphate, though it does seem strange that a few folks have had the red fuzzy cyano growing after using CP. Anyway, I hope this helps somebody.

Hydrogen peroxide is one of the few things I did not try.

If it's the same organism I had it's a type of cyanobacteria that bores into rock (won't just blow off and is difficult to scrape off completely even with a toohbrush). It's photosynthetic, so complete dark-out of a tank for a few days kills it, but ANY light leaking into the tank will be used by some of the cyanobacterial cells to survive. Chemi-clean will not kill it. Tetracycline will, however. Still, I've not ever been able to keep it out of my tanks for long periods. It seems to like Phosphate, but like other cyanobacteria is not dependent on it for growth (light is enough).

Whatever you do, please do not let it get into your DTs. It ended up covering all of my rocks. I've just acid-washed my rocks and made sure they do not leech out any more phosphate. I'm aquascaping now, and will hopefully get my DT back up and running in a couple of months. It's still in my QTs, though, on the glass and Tetracycline did not kill it fully there, so I will probably reintroduce it when I put my fish back in. What I am hoping to do is to "seed" the dry rock with beneficial bacteria (bottled) under full dark-out conditions for a few weeks so that a stable biofilm covers all of the tank surfaces and does not allow the cyano easy access to the rock when a few cells do get in. I'm also hoping to get coralline algae to grow on the rocks in the hope that this will also help prevent a large outbreak of this bright red cyanobacteria.

Another fun type of cyano that grew after I used CP in my DT is a green filamentous type that is also rock-boring, but also grew in very high flow areas (like the output of my Koralias). Under the microscope it looks similar to callothrix. Lovely stuff. Also hard to remove from surfaces. I had single filaments of the stuff growing inches away from each other before I broke the tank down. Fun stuff. This stuff worries me more than the red cyano...

Neither may have anything to do with Chloroquine Phosphate, though it does seem strange that a few folks have had the red fuzzy cyano growing after using CP. Anyway, I hope this helps somebody.

thanks for your post, stubborn stuff! I've also noticed a little bit of the green filamentous type you mentioned...

I'll provide an update after I move the Macropharyngodon choati out of QT and I can dose the tank with H202

so, whatever that red fluffy stuff is, it is indeed stubborn...

150g QT tank:

3% H202 had no effect, added 1 gallon
Vinegar had no effect, added 2 gallons

Bleach (1g in 150g seawater) killed it entirely, in a 24 hr period, then drained tank, it took the entire gallon of bleach too, as I titrated it, initially had no effect either

now as you know adding bleach to vinegar creates dangerous chlorine gas due to the low ph from acetic acid, so I waited some time before adding bleach and did it very slowly, was still as little nervous

the low ph however probably strengthened the effect of the bleach, making it a more powerful oxidizer

Last edited:
Yes, bleach seems to kill it. Actually, 1 gallon per 150 gallon is quite dilute. I use at least 10%, usually more, to ensure eradication.
I suppose if you let it sit for 24 hrs with some water movement in the tank (i.e. powerhead) it should contact all surfaces of the tank.

Chlorine bleach is an interesting chemical. Although municipalities have used it for treating water to make it safe for drinking, there are a number of bacteria and other microorganisms such as protozoans that are resistant to chlorine. This is very important, as most aquarists assume that chlorine bleach kills everything. It does not. If the organism we are seeking to eliminate produces spores, it will come back even after treating with bleach.

Erythromycin (I mistakenly typed Tetracycline in my last post) does kill it, even at 10% of the dose recommended for aquarium use. It is relatively safe to use in a display tank, as it has surprisingly little effect on nitrifying bacteria. Still, your tank may have bacteria that are sensitive to E-mycin, so be cautious and be ready for a ammonia spike.

That has been my experience, anyway.

Nick

that's interesting, so if Erythromycin kills it, that supports it being a bacteria i.e. cyano, though Chemiclean at 9 x recommended dose did nothing in my tank, it is supposedly Erythromycin

I will try Erythro if it comes back though, thanks

Just for continuity purposes, here is snorvich's sticky regarding CP: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388433

Other Treatments for ich - CP
Additional Disease Treatment Information

When I was doing research on treatments, I found that Quinine products were the first medications used in many tropical fish ailments -- especially marine fishes. What happened in the USA is that the real good ones became only available by prescription. This is not something most hobbyists could get their hands on.

Now, some off the shelf medications do contain some quinine ingredients in low quantities.

Chloroquine diphosphate was the choice medication for treating Marine Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum) which is usually fatal to all fish in the entire tank. The downsides of these drugs is that they only affect the parasite in its dinospore phase. This is of significance because copper not only affects the dinospore, but also the tomont division. Thus copper is a better choice for most people for cryptocaryon irritans. Other downsides include the cost and the fact that these drugs are devastating to bacteria (the biological filter will stop, whereas with copper, the biological may continue) and invertebrates (which is very similar to copper). The last downside is that the hobbyist cannot measure the amount of drug in the water, whereas of course, the copper can be controlled by common test kits. For me, this is the absolute constraint that keeps me from considering it even in a tank swap treatment scheme.

As a treatment for the hobbyists' marine life, it has the disadvantages noted above. But as a prophylactic it is very disadvantaged since it can also kill off the norma flora of bacteria inside the fish's digestive track. My viewpoint, while very controversial to some is that one should not treat prophylactically but only observe in quarantine. This causes the fish to lack effective digestion of its food, even leading to death if these bacteria can't recover. It is essential when treating fish to provide their immune system maximal nutrition while providing the parasite itself the most lethal environment.

I can't think of any good reason to use these drugs considering the other medications available. I put this together with my opinion that treating fishes with prophylactic drugs is an unnecessary and undesirable stressor. I do treat all fishes with Prazipro, however.

Additional information from Billsreef (a highly experienced marine biologist) who has extensive experience with this method:

"I want to throw a couple of observations at you based on my experience with chloroquine diphospate with large numbers (thousands) of fish. It is very stable, which limits the need for testing, and has been shown in the literature (and my experience validates this) to be very effective with a single dose for a 20 day treatment period. Water changes can easily be done with predosed water in order to maintain dose concentration. Makes it actually easier to dose than copper. While it does indeed severely depress the nitrifying bacteria (chloramX is great stuff here), I've never had problems with the fish in relation to digestion and gut bacteria. Personally the only problem I have with it is the difficulty in sourcing it in less than kilogram quantities"

I have questions about this particular section:

The downsides of these drugs is that they only affect the parasite in its dinospore phase. This is of significance because copper not only affects the dinospore, but also the tomont division. Thus copper is a better choice for most people for cryptocaryon irritans. Other downsides include the cost and the fact that these drugs are devastating to bacteria (the biological filter will stop, whereas with copper, the biological may continue) and invertebrates (which is very similar to copper).

I have never read that copper affects anything except the dinospore stage. Does anyone have a reference for this? Also, CP does not impact the biofilter, as alprazo has pointed out in a separate thread.

I have questions about this particular section:

I have never read that copper affects anything except the dinospore stage. Does anyone have a reference for this? Also, CP does not impact the biofilter, as alprazo has pointed out in a separate thread.

Well, from a "fixing the problem" perspective, copper only can kill the dinospore stage. However there is anecdotal evidence that a non-therapeutic dosage of copper can inhibit, temporarily, the production of the dinospore stage. Which is why some people feel that a non-therapeutic dosage of copper can mask velvet (and possibly ich). I am not advocating for copper, I always advocate for tank transfer for ich as I strongly prefer non-chemical solutions where possible. There was some anecdotal evidence in this thread that the biological filter was impacted, but since the conditions were not clearly stated, that may or may not have been correct.

Well, from a "fixing the problem" perspective, copper only can kill the dinospore stage. However there is anecdotal evidence that a non-therapeutic dosage of copper can inhibit, temporarily, the production of the dinospore stage. Which is why some people feel that a non-therapeutic dosage of copper can mask velvet (and possibly ich)

Ahh...that makes sense. Thanks Steve. :)

Back