My Journey with C./P. multifasciata

Same here. I think Hikari is fine, it's just my opinion the PE is better. It is cloudy and does need to be rinsed thoroughly, but I kind of think the cloudines is what may entice some of those picky eaters to start picking.

Chopping it is kind of a pain. I might look into the smaller stuff they were sdvertising a while ago. I like to have variety in my foods.

Are the multibar a still doing well?

They are still doing well. Eating mysis shrimp no problem and other foods are off and on like I mentioned earlier.

IME, the key to success with multibars is PODS... And quite frankly, I have had better success by adding them directly (with acclimation box) to the DT ... I lost a pair of DD multibars in QT ... 1 came in bad (swim bladder?) and both never ate... Tried everything, unfortunately they survived almost 3 weeks, so no help with guarantee!
The 2 I have now were purchased at LFS at separate times, neither was eating there, but once in my tank, they were constantly picking on the rocks

I'm thinking I might add them to the DT sooner than later. I think they're in need of learning how to recognize foods - they approach it, inspect it & then turn away from it. Then they move on & pick off the rocks.
Hows their behavior, Kyle? Anything interesting to report?

The two I have tend to do the inspection and ignore after they have eaten recently (if I feed again too soon) with a new food. They won't ignore a feeding of mysis until they eat a bit. Mine are in a sterile QT so they don't have a whole lot for rock grazing, however, they do have a ceramic pot with algae on it that I will see them pick at occasionally.

Yesterday I ran to the LFS to get some PE mysis and some brine shrimp (the brine I had was severely freezer burned). This morning's feeding was PE mysis (normal stuff since the small stuff wasn't offered) and all the fish went crazy for it. It was a much more aggressive feedin response than I have gotten from Hikari mysis. I'm going to see if I can't use the cloudiness to my advantage in getting the fish to eat flake and pellet readily. Since the PE is juicer, I feel the scent will be stronger if the prepared foods are soaked in the PE as opposed to the Hikari. We will see how it goes!

My fish destroy the hikari & for whatever reason, don't attack the PE as I'd like. I think the PE looks a little bigger too, so maybe they're intimidated??? haha ...

My fish destroy the hikari & for whatever reason, don't attack the PE as I'd like. I think the PE looks a little bigger too, so maybe they're intimidated??? haha ...

I thought I read a post on this forum about PE coming out with a smaller version? Anyone know anything about that?

I don't think that's true. IIRC the issue it that PE lists it's protein content % in dry weight.

This is what I understand as well. Many that know this still prefer it over Hikari though. I have stuck with Hikari as all of my fish love it and it is perfectly sized (IMO). I am just not sold that PE is worth that much more than Hikari.

I got a couple videos that I'm trying to get uploaded on to YouTube. However, YouTube insists on giving me problems now that I am uploading a video for the first time... We'll see if the videos ever load.

They could be a bit fatter, but that is just me. I'm keeping up with 3-4 feedings daily with an absolute minimum of 2 on the days I got really busy. The two clownfish have put on a significant amount of weight since acquiring the multibar pair. :lol:

They look great, that feeding response is really aggressive. Did you contact Kevin directly about acquiring this pair?

They look great, that feeding response is really aggressive. Did you contact Kevin directly about acquiring this pair?

Yes I did. I had actually asked for both a pair of P. multifasciata and P. venusta. I ended up getting limited to this smaller system, so I said that I would only be able to take one of the two pairs for the time being. P. venusta just were not available, and he had this pair acquired not to long after the initial talks. It was nice working with Kevin directly, and I hope to do so again in the future (the fish I want tend to go before my computer loads the updated page each night).

Did you know him before hand or just send an email/pm? I may have a few difficult items I want to acquire in the upcoming months, it would be nice to know they are eating before ordering them.

Good job Kyle - I'm jealous :), my remaining Multi is a grazer at best. I'm getting a little anxious about it not eating enough. I'm leaning towards putting into the DT possibly today or tomorrow. Perhaps she needs some instruction about what's edible.
Can you report any behaviors / interesting things as well?

Back