My Journey with C./P. multifasciata

Good to hear Kevin's taking care of you. Yesterday, I put a peaceful, small, fairy wrasse in w/ my multi & for the 1st time since I've owned her, she's eating out of the water column. Coincidence? Not sure but I'm very happy to see it.

I assume competition is triggering some sort of eating response :)

I was going to say while the small one may or may not be able to compete for food. It will most likely learn good feeding habits from the larger angel ... Just like some noted with the pep angels learning to feed from other pep angels eating out of the water column.

I'm hoping to have Kevin ship the new fish soon. I noticed with today's feedings the larger specimen is much more reclusive and not wanting to eat much. Not sure if it is coincidence or how long the behavior could last... I'm hoping it is only temporary as I don't want to lose this one as well.

IME/O... Put some live rock in your QT and add some pods, so that the angels can pick on the pods all day long, and then learn to eat other foods!

I'll be adding LR to the QT. I hate doing so in the case that there is disease, but these fish are worth breaking typical protocol. After letting Kevin know that the smaller one had died, he told me that they should have another smaller specimen (2.5") from Vanuatu ready to ship to me Dec. 1 for arrival Dec. 2. He suggested that I keep it physically separated from the other fish so it isn't having to compete too much. Also suggested that I try feeding 8-10x daily until the fish is eating a wide variety of offered foods without fuss.

IME/O... Put some live rock in your QT and add some pods, so that the angels can pick on the pods all day long, and then learn to eat other foods!

+1 Albano - I took your advice & I believe that's been the one consistent thing, sustaining her. I cleared my LFS out of pods as well, although I don't see them hanging out in the cheato anymore.

+1 Albano - I took your advice & I believe that's been the one consistent thing, sustaining her. I cleared my LFS out of pods as well, although I don't see them hanging out in the cheato anymore.
Every few months, (when they go on sale) I order 2-4000 pods from reefs2go....I believe that they were the key to success with my Multifaciatus and various Leopard wrasses

Every few months, (when they go on sale) I order 2-4000 pods from reefs2go....I believe that they were the key to success with my Multifaciatus and various Leopard wrasses

Are they difficult to maintain? Do you have a specific tank you keep them in with chaeto or something?

Do you feed them anything specific or just put them into your fuge.

Are they difficult to maintain? Do you have a specific tank you keep them in with chaeto or something?

Do you feed them anything specific or just put them into your fuge.

I usually add 1/2 to my 200g sump/fuge which has separate areas for live rock and chaeto... and the other 1/2 directly to the DT (at night so that they aren't eaten immediately!) ... Once in the system, it's every pod for himself, they're on their own!

I think I found my problem. There is a disease that is now showing itself with the surviving multibar and the orchid dottyback in the tank with it. The current multibar is breathing heavy, and most of the fins seem to be damaged. The orchid is breathing heavy and has a film on it. My knowledge of disease falls short when it comes to IDing between brook and velvet, which I'm not sure if that is a possibility here or not.

This sucks, but I believe it is velvet. I have Cupramine on hand, but IME both the test kits I have for copper don't seem to work for me.

Last edited:
You don't need a copper test kit to dose Cupramine, they are difficult to read anyway. With that in mind, I would do a freshwater dip on one of the sick fish to check for flukes - they can appear in the way that you describe with the film and frayed fins.

I'll start getting some FW up to temp. and pH.

I'm going to have to take back my hunch on velvet since the last time I had something like this it was likely brook since the fish didn't die very fast...

FW DIP: Neither fish took to the FW dip well, so I had to abort before I could see if anything fell off. I think I will go ahead with a dose of Prazi. Doing so will still allow copper to be dosed from what I have heard of dosing the two together. Why can't various parasites have very distinct symptoms so that there isn't so much overlap?

Last edited:
Kyle, if you start dosing copper and need to borrow a test kit or are in a pinch for medications let me know, I have a full arsenal of drugs. Personally I'd do the FW bath then dose QS or CP which are effective against brook and velvet. I have QS on hand, CP on the way. Good luck.

I talked to Kevin and he said that I should go with a Copper Sulfate and formalin combination treatment after doing a large water change. He noted that this is the time of year for velvet as temps are swinging out in the wild this part of the year. Should this fish die he noted he would still stand behind it, which is far beyond my expectations!

Sorry to hear, Kyle. It's no fun dealing with these sorts of things....

Be careful doing copper and formalin together. You'll most likely have to use free copper since cupramine cannot be used in conjunction with formalin. Is suggesting this treatment in a bath or continious QT? IMO CP is much safer to use.

From there using Copper Sulfate (as directed by the manufacturer and tested with a quality test kit) in combination with Formalin at a rate of 1 ml/25 gallons is the best course of action at this point. The combination of Copper and Formalin will take care of Brooklynella (if that is even the case as this shows up quick- ie in a day or two normally), as well as Amyloodinium (Velvet) or Cryptocaryon (Ich).

That is what he advised I do after doing a large WC, to make sure my other parameters are in check. According to a book I have on various diseases, under its section on overall medications, Copper Sulfate is also known as Ionic or Free Ionic Copper. I believe this stuff is okay to use with Formalin. At this point I'm not sure what I should do. I'm thinking he means this as a continuous solution in the QT tank, though I can't be sure.

Last edited:
SeaChems website clearly states do NOT use cupramine in conjunction with formalin. Just incase this is what your plan is. Just let me know if I'm leaving CP out for you. I have it boxed up ready to go.

The disease has claimed the life of the angel and the dottyback. Running to go get some meds from Josh and will be treating the clownfish that are left. I should have another chance with multibars in a month or two after I have the disease behind me.

Back