my latest project: saltwater pond

siropa

started working on this last week. it is a 285g or so saltwater pond. going to use it for frags.

doing a FW leak test now. note the exotic angelfish testing out the waters...

pond2.jpg

yeah i'll take some more pics tomorrow. gotta get the lights up and top off the rail.

yup it is a pond liner. hopefully it won't end up in a disaster :)

That's my dream come true! But I'm too worried about moisture to try it. Do you have a good dehumidifier or two?

yes it is in my basement. I've got a dehumidifer, but we haven't had to run it in the 5+ years we've been in this house. We've got an air exchanger/energy recovery thingie on the furnace and I adjust the rate on that unit to keep the humidity consistent in the house. Has worked really well so far.

How many gallons? Something tells me you're gonna need a bigger RO/DI unit. :D

What are you doing for filtration and circulation?

it is around 285g. approx 70"x70". maybe 13" deep. i'm going to hook it into my existing system. not sure about circ yet though.

I started making water a few days ago, so I had 4 garbage cans filled up. it put a dent in it, but it is going to take a few days to make up the rest now.

Cooool.... you should be able to keep plenty of frags in that! (and maybe a small shark?)
What are you going to use for lighting?

Last edited:
right now i've just got a couple of extra halides i'm going to use, but i'd like to light it with 4 lumenarcs or something.

couple more pics...

empty:
pond_empty.jpg

filling up slowly with SW and eggcrate in place:
pond_eggcrate_and_water.jpg

I think it will have enough water in it by tomorrow to get the water running through it.

What is the frame made off? I am installing tile in a house that has like a 1200gl koi pond in the center of the house but it is in the ground.It looks like they built it out of cinder blocks.I will be up there installing more tile in a week or so and I will post pick of it it's amazing.Would be better if it was salt though

Too bad you couldn't get a white liner for the bottom. That would reflect the light up off the bottom.

Looks like quite a frag tank though!!

Jeremy

I had thought about putting some sand or something under there, but it would likely just become a maintenance nightmare.

A thin layer of sand I think could only help, but depending on if the flow is too heavy it might end up pushing it around.

Back