my mantis died last night

joeyd

she was loved by all and will be missed dearly.

*sniff* *sniff*

anyway, i want to preserve her the best i can and was wondering if formaldehyde or alcohol would be better. im looking for something that'll have the least amount of discoloration over time.

A standard way of preserving crustacean is to start with formalin for 24 hours, then change to 70% ETOH. However, this will cause an almost complete loss of color. I don't know of any way to keep most of the color except to freeze dry the specimen.

Roy

Hmmm....
Interesting. Guess there's really no way to keep them looking like they do when they're in our tanks then. :(

JoeyD, I got your e-mail, but I haven't not preserved him yet, he's still sitting in my freezer frozen in a block of ice...

Preservation

Preservation

Traditionally, I like to perserve my shrimp in a flour/cornflour mix, season with a little cayenne pepper and salt. Dredge the carcass in the flour mix. Preheat a cast iron skillet to 350 degrees. Lightly fry the shrimp for 2-3 minute on each side or until golden brown. Drain shrimp on paper towel---Here is the key---RESEASON IMMEDIATELY!!! with cracked black pepper and kosher salt. Serve with drawn butter and lemon. For more tips please visit my website DeadFishRecipes.com

Back