My Neptune Apex web interface compatible DIY reef controller

I've been busy setting a new (smaller) tank this year, so did not get the chance to complete the work on v2 of the controller.

I got an apex classic to see how it works, and think I will go back to diy controller.
The apexfusion lag is horrible. I use other devices with cloud based service and they all have minimal and acceptable delay.

I got some new ideas for the controller, so will probably start working on it from scratch next year.

I've been busy setting a new (smaller) tank this year, so did not get the chance to complete the work on v2 of the controller.

I got an apex classic to see how it works, and think I will go back to diy controller.
The apexfusion lag is horrible. I use other devices with cloud based service and they all have minimal and acceptable delay.

I got some new ideas for the controller, so will probably start working on it from scratch next year.

Ok, nice to hear you still got plan on making a new version!

I was thinking of a controller that has alexa interface, but someone just came out with a new alexa skill for apex controller. I think network enabled devices nowadays pretty much use a cloud service. any ideas on how to implement such a setup? using cloud eliminates the need to do port forwarding and other network configuration. The issue with apex cloud service is the lag/latency is too big. I think it is an implementation issue, as I use other devices that I'm sure has way more users than apex and response is fast.

I see smartthings hub now goes for $49. wondering if it is feasible to build a controller running as a smartthings device. outlets can probably use existing/available smart outlets.

sors, you moved from CO to MO?

d0ughb0y - Yes sir I did. I moved June of 2016. Work had an opportunity out here for me that worked out. It also put me closer to home. I'm originally from Ohio. I'm still following this project closely. If you need me to setup anything for testing, let me know. I got a whole new workstation setup for my projects. I started playing with your v2 concept, but have a Teensy 3.6 in place of the Teensy 3.2 for the extra GPIO.

D0ughb0y, you will need to post status updates to the cloud, and have some kind of an interface there that will listen to those.

This can be quickly prototyped with Lambda, and basic databse like dynamo or just s3 storage. Ping me if you want to discuss a way to try it out. I don't have your board, but have been following this thread since almost the beginning. Really awesome work!

I think the only downside, and latency problems will come from how often the device post/pull data from the cloud. A way around it could be using MQTT, which works by establishing a pub channel, and have the apex subscribe to that. that way both the controller and the cloud software could post an re-act to events on that bus.

sors, I bet you got to experience the full eclipse in stl.

djmx or anyone, link to some reading material or good examples will help so I can get an idea what's involved.

thanks.

d0ughb0y -

I got to see total darkness. It was awesome!

FYI, I've been doing a lot of projects lately with MQTT. That might be the key for your Cloud service setup.

So Alexia compatible smart plugs are down to $15 each, and are fully app and cloud enabled: https://www.amazon.com/Plug-Work-Alexa-Function-certification/dp/B075WPMB27

I've got four of them running now, and have only had one failure in several months. (Outlet was on, but pushing the button on the device did nothing, had to reboot it).

Anyone know what they use inside of them? I'm thinking that if they can do full app/cloud integration for $15, then it should be possible to do something similar for a controller, or at least piggyback on the cloud infrastructure for simple lights on/off type commands.

Mine uses the Smart Life app, which has several dozen choices when I go to add a device, including "other".

You can get a lot of cloud outlet controllers that already have ESP8266 inside. I have a few that I have hacked/put new firmware on, and connected them directly to my MQTT server.

I'm having trouble with the ultrasonic sensor. Maybe I wired it incorrectly. Is is needed to connect the trigger with 5V in over a 3.3k Ohm resistor? I may have read the shematic wrong.

I'm having trouble with the ultrasonic sensor. Maybe I wired it incorrectly. Is is needed to connect the trigger with 5V in over a 3.3k Ohm resistor? I may have read the shematic wrong.

There is no resistor. What you are seeing is the resistor for the Temp Sensor. In the diagram the line is actually going over the connection for "Sonar Trigger". A "DOT" would be there if it was connected.

There is no resistor. What you are seeing is the resistor for the Temp Sensor. In the diagram the line is actually going over the connection for "Sonar Trigger". A "DOT" would be there if it was connected.

Okay, then my sensor is probably faulty. Thank you for your quick reply.

You can still add it. You can look at the pwm fan code for counting pulses.

Ok, I'm thinking of adding a new sensor type and use the same routines as for the other sensors. I'm pretty sure I can get the programming right in the arduino code.
in sensor.h:

class Sensor {
public:
enum SensorType {_ph,_orp,_cond,_flow};

And then use 4 different _flow sensors with individual names in config.h
etc.

However, I don't think I will be able to find the html code to add to the htm file to make sure the values are printed on the webpage under the sensor part.
Can somebody point me in the right direction?

thanks!

Ok, I'm thinking of adding a new sensor type and use the same routines as for the other sensors. I'm pretty sure I can get the programming right in the arduino code.
in sensor.h:

And then use 4 different _flow sensors with individual names in config.h
etc.

However, I don't think I will be able to find the html code to add to the htm file to make sure the values are printed on the webpage under the sensor part.
Can somebody point me in the right direction?

thanks!

Scratch that... I'll add the flow sensors in the pwmfans.ino file, since the rpm measurement is almost the same as flow measurement.

Any thoughts on how to add more "fans" with only the rpm (/flow) showing on the web page? I would like to name them aswell (flow return, flow reactor 1, flow reactor 2, flow cooler).

It would be nice if I could add a expandable part "flow sensors" to the webpage, but I would already be happy if it showed on the pwmfans part.

A quick question about the tacho pin for fan rpm measurement. Is it connected directly to the arduino pin? When I was testing with directly connected to arduino, I got a decent reading for 100% speed but when I lowered the pwm, I got the maximum speed regardless of my pwm setting...

Back