My New 100 Gallon Shallow Rimless SPS Build

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15300953#post15300953 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EvMiBo
looking really sharp, keep us updated with pics!

Thanks EvMiBo, I know you reefers love pics! My friend and co worker keeps telling me to do a build thread! I got tired of him harassing me!lol

This overflow is absolutely quiet. The whole setup is quiet! I only hear a little trickle of water running into the overflow. The water falls about 1 inch into the overflow and that's all i hear. The lights are convection cooling, no fans noise here and i can't hear the ballast or anything else!

here's a few pics of the overflow running.
IMG_3578.jpg

IMG_3577.jpg

Wow... looking great. The tank, stand and lights look so sharp and modern! That over flow looks so cool. Love the appearance of it from the top.
Overall, very very slick! :thumbsup:

Question: Are the glass doors tinted? If so, can you see inside at all? Or, is there a wood backing?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15301259#post15301259 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dobly_1999
Your wife allowed you to move the cabinet again?

S T F U !! lol, sorry rc fans, that's an inside joke but i had to get that out! lol:D

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15302280#post15302280 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by v1...rotate
Wow... looking great. The tank, stand and lights look so sharp and modern! That over flow looks so cool. Love the appearance of it from the top.
Overall, very very slick! :thumbsup:

Question: Are the glass doors tinted? If so, can you see inside at all? Or, is there a wood backing?

thanks for the comments. I love the overflow box too. it's sooo quiet!

The doors are tinted black smoke glass. you will be able to barely see thru it if you have any lights in the sump area. I kinda like that because i will use a black opaqueback like for a tank and cut just enough of an opening so i can see the led lights from the doser, the co2 controller, and the wave maker. This will allow me to verify that all equipment is working normally just by walking by and glancing at the stand! I have a the same stand now on my 90G and love it!

Last edited:
Looking great already Nick!! I am still waiting for your call, I told you, I would of love to help!! Lol, It seems as though you have it under control though, its looking real nice already. I see that you're going w sand this time around!! I'll keep following your build. Im sure this tank will be even better than the last one, which was one of the most colorful tanks I ever saw!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15304017#post15304017 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bernie21
Looking great already Nick!! I am still waiting for your call, I told you, I would of love to help!! Lol, It seems as though you have it under control though, its looking real nice already. I see that you're going w sand this time around!! I'll keep following your build. Im sure this tank will be even better than the last one, which was one of the most colorful tanks I ever saw!!!

Hey thanks bernie! I decided to go ahead with the build and a ew friends came over and i totally forgot to call you, sorry. I decided to go sand because the rimless will allow easy access for servicing as oppose to a tank with a top. Thanks for the compliments on the old 90. I hope to be as successful as that one.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15304470#post15304470 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stagcrazy
looking sweet cant wait to see it all aquascaped tank looks very clean.

Thanks! I can't wait to aquascape either. I'm considering what is called a minimum tank, which is just a few live rocks and a small assortments of sps grown large but i havent committed yet so we'll see.

It's been a long day, I've transfered all my corals to the tank and most of the live rock to the temp sump until i can decide how to aquascape the tank. here's a few pics of the tank running with the corals throw in. I didn't realize how much corals i had. I will probably give some to my lfs. The owner came over unannounced and help me remove the 90 g from the house. I was really thankful because I could not move it myself and I don't think the wife could move it either. anyhow heres athe pics.

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3585.jpg

These pic were with the T5's only as i forgot to turn the MH.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15317160#post15317160 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rickyrooz1
Nice set up [/QUOTE
Thanks! I will try to post some final pics tonight
]

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15318081#post15318081 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WILLIAM2
Looking good. I hate how long it takes to transfer corals.
Thanks, I don't mind moving the corals, what i hate is the cleaning, hooking up the equipment, and cleaning up the house.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15304747#post15304747 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefsahoy
Thanks! I can't wait to aquascape either. I'm considering what is called a minimum tank, which is just a few live rocks and a small assortments of sps grown large but i havent committed yet so we'll see.

yeah i no what u mean that was going to be my plan to until i saw how many pieces i had to transfer over from my old 90, so i decided that i was going to get rid of my lps and focus on sps until i saw them placed in the tank so i decided on half way down lps and the top part sps needless to say i did not get rid of any of my lps lol anyway hopefully you have more willpower than i do and accomplish your goal.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15321814#post15321814 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stagcrazy
yeah i no what u mean that was going to be my plan to until i saw how many pieces i had to transfer over from my old 90, so i decided that i was going to get rid of my lps and focus on sps until i saw them placed in the tank so i decided on half way down lps and the top part sps needless to say i did not get rid of any of my lps lol anyway hopefully you have more willpower than i do and accomplish your goal.

LOL, that's exactly what happened to me! I can't believe how much corals i've got. I'm going to get rid of some soon. i will probably keep a few lps but it will be mostly sps. a guy from the local area is coming over tonight to pick up a few pieces of lps and then i'll take a few pics. i'm pretty happy with how the aquascape came out so far.

Back