My New 100 Gallon Shallow Rimless SPS Build

Ok. i've took a couple of pics and am ready to post. Theres a few corals that i'm going to remove from the tank so this is not the final look to it. It will have two islands, mostly sps. Some of the corals are in shock from the swapout so their colors are not that vibrant but this is what i have to work with. My camera skills are not skills but a handicap!

here's a longitude picture in the tank. it t5's only and are all aquablue
IMG_3599.jpg

a off center shot all t5's and MH are on.
IMG_3592.jpg

Right island all lights on
IMG_3590.jpg

lseft island all lights on
IMG_3589.jpg

The left island all lights on.
IMG_3588.jpg

And the fts. The 2 frogspawn inbetween both islands will be removed from the tank.
IMG_3587.jpg

This tank is only 1 week old.

After playing around a better camera these are the pics that more represent the aquarium.
FTS
IMG_2266.jpg

This is the left island looking from the side
IMG_2271.jpg

this is the right island looking from the side
IMG_2270.jpg

There is minimal adjustments made to the picture so the colors are alittle better in real life. I adjusted the camera to manual iso and adjust for brighteness, crop and added my name. i did not adjust for color or contrast.

left island again but with more fish in the pics.
IMG_2269.jpg

right island from the front

IMG_2268.jpg

I will be looking for a different variety of colors especially for the right island and do some moving around of corals to mix colors around. This is only my update for now when the tank is only 1 week old with all my corals from my older tank that was using all t5's. from the move the corals are alittle in shock and i lost some colors. hopefully i can get those colors back with MH.

I like the islands. Sorry I didn't make it yesterday. I didn't leave Tampa right away. I guess I will have way until we both return from vacation.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15340390#post15340390 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by v1...rotate
Very nice. The islands look great and are certainly packed with corals. Great stuff!

thanks. I will be getting just a few/couple more corals for the right island, some in the red, purple, blue color range for variety. now i will just have to wait for maturity.

The tank looks great! :thumbsup:

I am loving the islands and the way you placed everything.

I have to work on my tank today as the corals are growing and soon the islands will join together.

Time to break out the frag shears.....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15340577#post15340577 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SunnyX
The tank looks great! :thumbsup:

I am loving the islands and the way you placed everything.

I have to work on my tank today as the corals are growing and soon the islands will join together.

Time to break out the frag shears.....

Thanks ALOT! hopefully i will have smooth sailing and eventually have your problem, having to clear out some corals!:D

This is making me want to get a new tank! I really love the glassholes overflow. Wish I would have done mine with one. Now time to plan my new tank 36x30x20 :)

I really like the islands also. It is looking great.

Coming along nicely! This seems to be a popular size tank these days. I'm tempted myself to go something similar.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15360659#post15360659 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mixer911
This is making me want to get a new tank! I really love the glassholes overflow. Wish I would have done mine with one. Now time to plan my new tank 36x30x20 :)

I really like the islands also. It is looking great.

Thanks! the glass hole product is nice. i do hear alittle trickling but i believe it's because my return pump is alittle undersize causing the water to drop into the cup and thus noise. The only other thing is if the glass hole skimming cup had a cover made for it so coralline won't grow in the cup. mine is still new and i will need to get one made.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15361041#post15361041 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capture
Coming along nicely! This seems to be a popular size tank these days. I'm tempted myself to go something similar.

Thanks! I absolutely love this size and the design of this tank! it's 100 gals and that makes it afforadable for me. I can get just about anything without breaking the bank (i tried a 210 once and got rid of it due to cost to run and upgrade equipment) The best part is the fact that it's rimless and the light is suspended over the top. It's soooo easy to do maintennance. No moving or removing of the light hood to access the tank. I can access all the way around the tank without obstruction. it's shallow enough that i don't need a ladder to get into it and i can reach anywhere in the bottom with my hands without a ladder. It also makes it easy to spot feed corals because no top! This makes upkeep much easier than a hooded tank. it also allows for heat exchange too because of no hood so i don't need a chiller. and because it's shallow i can use a smaller MH to light the tank.:D :D Did i say i love this tank?:D :D

I didn't realize all the benefits of doing the tank this way until i actually got the tank. I would Highly recommend suspending the light above the tank to anyone. Also consider the depth of the tank and height of the stand when designing the tank. It makes it much easier to maintain the tank when everything is accessable!

Reefsahoy - How far down is the location you requested for the hole to be drilled for your overflow? Also, can you tell me what the locations down and from the side where you placed your return holes.

I'm trying to visualize where I want everything and my setup will be very similar to yours.

I measured 3/4 inch from the top of the rim to the top of the overflow box. The returns were 5 inches from the side and 3 inch from the top.
If you had replied to me earlier I would have been able to email you the diagram of my tank. I,m now on my way to hawaii for vacation.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15375116#post15375116 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by customdusty
Reefsahoy - How far down is the location you requested for the hole to be drilled for your overflow? Also, can you tell me what the locations down and from the side where you placed your return holes.

I'm trying to visualize where I want everything and my setup will be very similar to yours.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15377056#post15377056 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zef004
Nice tank set up.

Thanks. I'm on my way to California and will stop by some lfs. If i see some stuff that i can't get back home i will probably buy and have them ship to my home on the way back. hopefully i can get some good stuff.:D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15361593#post15361593 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefsahoy
Thanks! I absolutely love this size and the design of this tank! it's 100 gals and that makes it afforadable for me. I can get just about anything without breaking the bank (i tried a 210 once and got rid of it due to cost to run and upgrade equipment) The best part is the fact that it's rimless and the light is suspended over the top. It's soooo easy to do maintennance. No moving or removing of the light hood to access the tank. I can access all the way around the tank without obstruction. it's shallow enough that i don't need a ladder to get into it and i can reach anywhere in the bottom with my hands without a ladder. It also makes it easy to spot feed corals because no top! This makes upkeep much easier than a hooded tank. it also allows for heat exchange too because of no hood so i don't need a chiller. and because it's shallow i can use a smaller MH to light the tank.:D :D Did i say i love this tank?:D :D

I didn't realize all the benefits of doing the tank this way until i actually got the tank. I would Highly recommend suspending the light above the tank to anyone. Also consider the depth of the tank and height of the stand when designing the tank. It makes it much easier to maintain the tank when everything is accessable!

love the idea of using the low watt MH and T5's. Best of both worlds. any humidity issues in the room with the rimless tank?

Do you have any PAR measurements for this tank? good idea of going 150W MH and T5's on a 20" high tank.

Keep up the good work!

Back