My New 300DD!!!

Okay, so I've finally managed to find some time for a photo update :)

First, heres the connection setup for my RODI coming off of my hot water heater for Dtowsley

IMG_1185_zps1784f2bb.jpg

Plumbing Complete!

IMG_1173_zpsd7fbce92.jpg

IMG_1167_zps10a0a33d.jpg

IMG_1166_zpsddfaf892.jpg

IMG_1168_zps524978ae.jpg

So close but yet so far :thumbdown

IMG_1186_zpsfa4c1881.jpg

Heres the lights I installed under the stand for those of you that were interested :)

IMG_1174_zps6e93d623.jpg

Got the salt ready too

IMG_1183_zps3f03e19b.jpg

And heres a little LED primer. Units are custom configured D120s

Blue and White channels maxed

IMG_1179_zps1a62898f.jpg

Blue Channel maxed

IMG_1178_zpsf89f4bfe.jpg

I'll post a lot more once I get them mounted, but I think they're looking pretty good coverage wise :)

Okay, so it appears my waiting on the RODI to finish filling the tank is coming to a close. I added a bunch of salt today and have a bunch of powerheads working their magic, it's still cloudy but it's getting cleared. I will confirm what everyone says regarding the weird slime layer if you mix the Reef Crystals in your tank. It seems to be clearing up now, but I'm going to have to clean the glass on the tank. Regardless, I had to quit filling the tank when I left for work tonight so I can't start the main return until tomorrow and at that point the skimmer and socks will suck up all the nasty :)

I'm off work tomorrow and debating whether or not to start aquascaping. I'm going to use acrylic rods and putty to create a masterpiece somewhat like serpentman did on his 300DD (you can look up his build with his use name). Any who, I think this setup will emphasize the depth of the tank while giving me a minimalist look. I'm hoping it'll only take a few hours, but with me doing it alone it might take a little longer...

I've also developed a very basic fish list and will post it below. Its just a starting point at the moment as I'll have a nice long time to decide on a final stocking list. Also any Wrasse and or Sand Sifting fish experts feel free to chime in with suggestions. I love the idea of wrasses sleeping in my sand bed and of having a diamond goby (or the equivalent of one) constantly cleaning my sand bed :inlove:

Here it is (be nice):

Schooling Bannerfish x1-3

Unicorn Tang of some sort x1 (very small and will rehome once he gets bigger)

Desjardini Tang x1

Kole Tang x1

"Small" Blue Throat Trigger (Male or maybe a pair) x1

Clowns x2

Genicanthus melanospilos (Angelfish) (Male) x1 (possibly a pair for the health of the fish)

Wrasses (taking suggestions :) )

Sand Sifters (also open to suggestions)

Okay, so aquascaping might not be my forte. That or I shouldn't do it when I'm exhausted. Any who, I'm calling on all you master aquascapers out there who would be willing to lend a helping hand. I'm looking to get this thing cycling on Sunday and would be forever grateful if anyone near me in Oldsmar would be willing to lend a helping hand. I'm sure it wouldn't take too long with multiple people, although I'm not as artistic as I thought I was ;)

Well first of August giving is not that difficult. I don't think you have to be very artistic. Best way to do it is the way all the rock out on a tarp So you can see the shakes each piece. Then from there start putting stuff together until you like a looks like And will allow good water movement. But I do think you're underestimating how long it will take. Sorry wish I was closer could help. Just keep putting it together and take me down and putting it back together until you like what you had

I might be able to help but wont be until Sunday evening. This is my favorite part of setting up a new tank. Do you know what kind of layout are you looking for? I would search aqua scapping on rc and spend some time looking at all the different ones posted. will help ideas and planning it out.

Sorry I'm responding to this so late, I ended up taking a nap yesterday after the aquascape disaster and then got a little carried away at the Lightning game (I'm from Chicago, so we like to go all out for sports). Needless to say, I'm hoarse, hungover and happy because we won!!!

Sorry speak to text But I think you can figure out the words that are wrong :)

Haha, I hate my autocorrect on the iPhone, it makes me sound like an idiot sometimes. I was going on no sleep yesterday when I attempted this, which was totally my fault. I bought acrylic rods and a drill bit and was going to go about it that way. But i needed another person to really do it the right way. It also didn't help that I dropped a full five gallon bucket (the actual bucket, not the water) on my ankle. I just have to not attempt big projects after working the entire night before :headwally:

I might be able to help but wont be until Sunday evening. This is my favorite part of setting up a new tank. Do you know what kind of layout are you looking for? I would search aqua scapping on rc and spend some time looking at all the different ones posted. will help ideas and planning it out.

Nate,

If you could help out tomorrow anytime before 9PM I'd be forever grateful for the help ;) I'm ready to get this thing cycling!!! I thought this was going to be the best part because I've go a lot of good rock to work with. Any who, I've got all the supplies we could ever need and a couple tarps and could lay out all the rock before you came over.

Here's the scape I'm going for. This was on Serpentman's 300 DD build, so it should translate over fairly easy...

Serpentman1_zps5326f6b9.jpg

sman2_zps7a435521.jpg

Here's a link to his build, which looks amazing :inlove:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1593174

I like that

Thanks!

Its the best one I've seen as far as the open look goes. there's plenty of room for clams, LPS and a possibly a neme in the future. I also think I'll get some really good flow through the middle if I mount a couple of MP60s in the middle of the ends of the tank. You can probably see why I'm having trouble with the scaping ;)

I would be willing to help tomorrow night after I get off at 7 if you answer this question correctly.

Cubs Or Sox?

I would be willing to help tomorrow night after I get off at 7 if you answer this question correctly.

Cubs Or Sox?

Haha, well you can only cheer for one of those two if you're a real Chicagoan and that team hasn't won it all in at least a hundred years :furious: I've adopted the Rays as my stand in team for the next decade or so until the Cubbies are respectable again...

We might have to reschedule, I'm going to have to start getting ready for work at around a quarter till nine so I'm not sure we'd have enough time to finish :(

Awesome build so far!

Thanks, Cichildman deserves a lot of the credit. Being a new reefer, all of my ideas had to pass snuff with him first, so he's the real genius lol

Alright, tank update :)

Rockwork is up and sand is in the tank (still cloudy). Big thanks to Nate (Nwest) for coming out yesterday and helping me out. He may not admit it but he is a very skilled aqua-artist :artist:. After the scaping I started the tank back up and immediately filled both my socks up with crap. This in turn put a bunch of back pressure on all four of my drains and revealed a couple of (what I assume) leaks on the left side drains. So, this morning I'll be back at my plumbing attempting to fix what could certainly become a problem in the future if my socks get too dirty :headwally:

I'm going to add six small cocktail shrimp to the socks as soon as the leaks are fixed and hopefully start the cycle today :celeb1: I'll put some pics of aquascape as soon as it clears up (hopefully today sometime) and then get to work on mounting the lights.

Speaking of light mounts, anyone have an effective setup that will allow me to mount the lights about 25 inches off of the back wall? I'd like to have all three lights be able to move independently of eachother. You'll be able to see why when my water clears up lol

Way to go your getting closer, Ill be doing my plumbing this weekend. I am planning on making a wooden shelf over my 180 and mounting the lights underneath. This way u can hide the wire some instead of just having them exposed.

Anytime glad I was able to help. I would not say I am talented just try a lot of different things!!! I would say I did learn a lot from a presentation I saw at macna. Something I wish everyone could see!!!

But once again glad I could help and that's what this club is about helping each other out when we can!!

Can't wait till this thing is up and running and will take you up on the offer to host a meeting!!

Back