My New Coralife BC29 - I've been away to long!

that's cool that your Dad called you out on working too much and recommended a hobby for you. Reefing is so damn relaxing, it's unbelievable. Tank looks good. I think the 3155 is the way to go on the ATO.. I bought mine when I had a nano and use it currently on my 65G. Great unit, works flawlessly.

Thanks for all of the feedback, It's much appreciated! Still no sign of the mushroom. I did however get some goodies in the mail. I love Amazon, Makes it possible to get things in a day, considering I have no time during the week. Also snapped a shot of "Rico" the fire fish. I was hesitant at first with the fire fish since it could be hit or miss on if they really come out of the rocks. He sits out in the center of the tank swimming with the clown for hours on end.

Supplies_zpsedwu43dw.jpg

Firefish%20-%20Rico_zpshyhnwtcu.jpg

I'm glad the firefish is out and about, though honestly I've never seen one just stay in the rocks. I guess if it's perpetually scared, but I haven't seen that consistently before, fortunately.

Also, are you a fellow pc gamer? There's a few of us around on RC and even in the nano forum.

I'm glad the firefish is out and about, though honestly I've never seen one just stay in the rocks. I guess if it's perpetually scared, but I haven't seen that consistently before, fortunately.

Also, are you a fellow pc gamer? There's a few of us around on RC and even in the nano forum.

I guess that makes sense, After all, When the LFS was getting him out of his tank the other firefish jumped out and hit the cross beam that was about 20 inches above their tank. And of course! I actually used to be a competitive Counter-Strike and Call of Duty player. Keyword being used to lol. Now I just play when I have excessive free time.

Also, Does anyone use a chiller with the BC without needing to add extra plumbing or sump? Is this even possible? Los Angeles summer just showed it's self today, It's going to creep up fast.

Last edited:
I guess that makes sense, After all, When the LFS was getting him out of his tank the other firefish jumped out and hit the cross beam that was about 20 inches above their tank. And of course! I actually used to be a competitive Counter-Strike and Call of Duty player. Keyword being used to lol. Now I just play when I have excessive free time.

Also, Does anyone use a chiller with the BC without needing to add extra plumbing or sump? Is this even possible? Los Angeles summer just showed it's self today, It's going to creep up fast.

Scratch that, I guess one of the easier and potentially cheaper alternatives would be upgrading to LED as the stock lights run hot.

Another great option is a fan on the rear hatch. See Homer's thread for pics when he did it. It blows cool air onto the tank water and speeds up evaporation cooling. LEDs help as well but you will be suprised the temp shift a couple of small fans blowing onto the water can do.

The exchange from crushed coral to sand has been completed. Havent had a chance to place the corals yet.

I have been researching what option I would like to do for the light upgrade... Although I like the closed top look, I think I might be going with the Kessil A360WE w/ gooseneck and sprectral controller. Although it may be more costly, It should help a great deal with the heat and offer me the first of the lights that I may use once i upgrade to a larger tank down the road.

I was also thinking of getting another Hydor 425 to create a less direct water flow in the tank. Would it be better to have them pointed at each other? Or one in the front, one in the back?

FTS%202-19-16_zpsn1otbik4.jpg

Howdy fellow cuber! Looking good! I'm actually wondering the same thing about extra movement. So I'll be following along. Also looking at doing a light change to LED.

I would put a RW4 in there before a hydor personally. Plus with the RW you can do various flow patterns to keep things variable and tinker the rate of flow as well...

Whichever powerhead you use, I'd recommend either pointing them at each other, or pointing them diagonally towards the front glass, or ideally both to get lots of turbulent flow.

Tank looks good!

If you go open top, just remember that more evaporation = lower temps = more top-off required.

I would just angle them at 45 degree angles pointing towards the middle of the glass, so they diffuse quickly, but you can angle them however you want, and you'll likely want to play with them to get maximum turbulence and minimal laminar flow.

Whichever powerhead you use, I'd recommend either pointing them at each other, or pointing them diagonally towards the front glass, or ideally both to get lots of turbulent flow.

Tank looks good!

If you go open top, just remember that more evaporation = lower temps = more top-off required.

I have my Tunze 3155 ATO :D

I would put a RW4 in there before a hydor personally. Plus with the RW you can do various flow patterns to keep things variable and tinker the rate of flow as well...

I was also thinking of just getting an MP10, One should be more than adequate for the BC29 right?

I have 2 mp10wes's and a hydor 240 in my biocube.

The 2 mp10's I have on each side and very low. The hydor nano is on the return side on the back wall pointing upwards to help gas exchange. The hydor I have on a 10 minute timer at the top of the hour, scheduled through the apex so its not always on and disturbing my LPS's with too much flow.

Anyone familiar with the Ocean Revive Arctic-T247-B Lights? I went by a LFS I haven't been to before and he had these on all of his tanks. Wasn't a whole lot of SPS but he said he recently swapped to these after using Kessil and they only run $199. Doesn't look like the bracket will fit a BC29 but some DIY might make it possible.

http://www.oceanrevivellc.com/goods.php?id=21

I've seen an LFS using those OR lights, they looked decent. If reefbreeders carries them, then they're probably pretty decent. Basically the value of reefbreeders is that he puts his name on the lights, charges a bit more than the other generic versions of the lights on ebay, but backs them with a warranty. He may tweak them or get the higher bin versions, but as I understand it, that's the difference. Point is if he carries a light and you find a knock off version, the knockoff is probably pretty decent, but it's worth whatever the slightly more expensive version is to buy directly from RB.

So I am now torn on what route I want to go.. I hear some people say Kessil offers little to no help with SPS growth, The shimmer effect can be to dominant, lots of shadows, etc..

Anyways, while I ponder my decision.. Here is a video of my turbo doing work on my glass. He cleaned the entire front display in a matter of 30 mins.

Back