My new first gigantea

akida

So I received in my first gigantea after searching for a couple months. I searched for the best deal I could get and a more acclimated gig. This came from a seller who had it in his tank for 3 months. As you can see it looks a bit bleached but she was very sticky and looks healthy other than the bleaching. Does the bleaching look severe? Turned off all flow and she grabbed onto the the rock I planned her to be on with a nice crevice in it also next to some mini maxis. So the seller had her under t5's which is what I'm running. She'll be housed in my 30x30x24 cube with an mp40 and a ATI 24" 8 bulb fixture (bulbs and fixture are 3 weeks old). I have the light suspended 12" off the water and the gig is about 25" from the light. So any experts or users with experience with these beauiful animals please share. Looks like my clowns have found her. My female is in her right now wrapped like a blanket. The male is looking at her but he has never hosted an anemone before it's always been the female. Should I acclimate the gig by raising my fixture? Should I feed her some fresh shrimp or silverside immediately? My parameters are as followed: no4 3ppm po4 is .06 pH is 7.9 during day ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 temp is usually 77. I also have a 4" dsb. Any input would be much appreciated. I want to do whats best for her :). I've housed haddonis with no issue but I'm aware they're easier. I have some bta's in my tank also, a 6" sunburst and my lemon drop bta should be arriving tuesday. Also the pic was taken under low sunlight through the blinds. Thanks reefas!

Attachments

• purple gig nem.jpg
    purple gig nem.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0
  • purple gig nem (2).jpg
    purple gig nem (2).jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 0
  • purple gig nem (3).jpg
    purple gig nem (3).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0
  • purple gig nem foot.jpg
    purple gig nem foot.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 0
  • purple gig nem underneath.jpg
    purple gig nem underneath.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 0
Quick update, she is very settled in an expanded larger than I expected but I'm grateful for that. My clowns are hosting her which is pretty awesome considering the male never once hosted an anemone only my algae scrubber. The gig looks blue when my T5 come on which I'm baffled by. She is a beautiful purple in daylight but when artifical lighting turns on she looks bluish (I run 5 ATI blue+ bulb 2 coral + and 1 purple +). Anyways she ate last night some PE mysis. Thinking of giving her some fresh chopped shrimp from the store. What is the best food for them?

gigantea.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm not sure flow is really the issue. I feel it is more important to give them the right place to put their foot in. I got both my gigs to stay put after I provided them with that.

I'm not sure flow is really the issue. I feel it is more important to give them the right place to put their foot in. I got both my gigs to stay put after I provided them with that.

It's one thing to make them stay, its another thing to keep them happy with extended tantacles :)

She has her foot set between 2 large rocks looks pretty comfortable but has moved side to side a little bit. I need to up my flow because 1 mp40 isn't cutting it. She looks happy and healthy however I know longterm success she'll need HIGH random flow which bring me to my recent thread. What pump would be good to supplement an MP40 for my gig tank in a 30x30x24 cube? I'm thinking of adding a Gyre XF130 however they scare me due to their lack of foam guards? Any insight??!!! Here is a recent pic as your can see she has moved a bit to the right while keeping her foot in the same area.
week%203%202.jpg

week%203%20mouth.jpg

I would get a second MP40 and set them up as master/slave, but there are plenty of good options.

I would get a second MP40 and set them up as master/slave, but there are plenty of good options.

I think you're right, I went ahead an purchased a used one for a sweet deal. I wasn't trying to spend $350 on the new quiet drive one.

Back