my new mantis

HeatherK

I JUST PURCHASED MY NEW MANTIS SHRIMP. I BUILT HIM A NICE HOME WITH CORAL, AND I HAVE VARIOUS LIVE ROCK IN THE TANK. IT IS A 10 GALLON TANK. SO FAR HIM SEEMS TO WANT TO HANG OUT BY THE FILTER INTAKE, INSTEAD OF THE HOME I BUILT FOR HIM. DO YOU THINK HE WILL SLOWLY GET SETTLED IN AND USE THE CAVE I BUILT FOR HIM?? HOW OFTEN SHOULD I FEED??THANKS

Welcome to Reef Central and welcome to the world of Mantis Keeping.

Yes, your mantis will settle in if you had indeed gave him a nice cave, burrow in which he can live in. All mantis shrimps will explore for a while to try to find a way out and to learn there surronding. But once that is done they will start building and constructing there home.

Couple of questions, how much live rock did you put in the tank? What did you use to give him a home, burrow? How deep is your substrate and what kind is it? How long was your 10g setup for before you introduced your mantis to it?

Feeding, now that can vary. My female Peacock Mantis will eat more often than my male Gonodactylaceus ternatensis.

You also have to be carefull because some Mantis Shrimps will bury there food so this could make your water quality get bad.

THE TANK HAS BEEN SET UP FOR ABOUT 7 MONTHS I HAVE ALREADY CYCLED IT AND HAD VARIOUS FISH IN IT TO DO SO. I HAVE TAKEN EVERYTHING OUT BEFORE I PUT MY MANTIS IN. I HAVE 2 PIECES OF LIVE ROCK IN THERE, THEY HAVE BEEN THERE A WHILE. I MADE HIME A CAVE OUT OF SOME BULK CORAL ABOUT 5 PIECES. I USED LIVE SAND FOR THE SUBSTRATE , ABOUT 1 TO 2 INCHES THICK, IT SHOULD BE PLENTY FOR HIM. TODAY HE SEEMS TO BE EXPLORING MORE HE WENT INTO THE CAVE AND DUG OUT THE SAND A LITTLE, SO I THINK HE IS ALRIGHT. I FEED HIM A GHOST SHRIMP TODAY , I TRIED TO LOOK FOR IT BUT I COULD NOT FIND IT MAYBE HE ATE IT, I HOPE. TOMORROW I WILL TRY A SMALL FEEDER FISH .. THANKS I ALSO HAVE A COUPLE OF FAKE PLANTS IN THERE FOR HIM ,, MORE HIDING SPOTS.

Sounds good so far, if he has started digging that it sounds like he is getting ready to settle in. Please keep us posted, also how about some pictures?

Also, could you please do us a favor, and turn off the CAPS. When someone writes in CAPS it usually means they are screaming :)

Thanks, John

new mantis

new mantis

Sorry for the caps. i will take some digital pics with mycam and post them ....thanks for the info...

Back