My Ongoing Build Thread

You're way more patient than I am... It's a good thing, so that things are set up properly.

I didn't wait on my first tank and had many problems. It's worth the time with such a large tank.

The filling went well. There are no leaks and I have started adding salt to the tank. My Vectra M1 works fantastically. I couldn't believe how quiet it is. It's not really running that hard so that helps too. Best I can figure the tank runs at something close to 30% which would be correct for the tank and head pressure calculations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let see some pics! What fish stores are down by you? Is it still just Sailfin or have others tried to enter the market down there?

Let see some pics! What fish stores are down by you? Is it still just Sailfin or have others tried to enter the market down there?

I will load a bunch of pics tonight. Its been a busy week so far.

Sailfin is the only place down by me that is close at all. It seems like central illinois can only support one store per hour radius. Although bloomington doesn't really have a store. I order almost all of my stuff through Amazon. The only thing I buy from John at Sailfin is the tank, sand, live rock, animals and food. Everything else is online. Which now that i list it all out is a lot of stuff i get from him. :lolspin:

As promised the pictures ...

The skimmer stand
The sump itself
A closeup of the baffles and the pump
FTS (Full Tank Shot)

The pump is now running 24/7 on its program. The water level has not moved in the last 3 hours in the sump. (Steady as she goes). Ive got a 200W heater plugged in and running to heat the tank. Ive got a piece of LR from the main tank in the DT and a mesh bag of 3 raw shrimp in the DT to start the cycle.

Let the testing begin, and the eternal cycle wait start now!

Attachments

• IMG_0610.jpg
    IMG_0610.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0611.jpg
    IMG_0611.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0612.JPG
    IMG_0612.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0613.JPG
    IMG_0613.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0615.JPG
    IMG_0615.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 0
I have now also ran out of salt and had to order the 200 gallon box from amazon. Which is suprisingly cheaper than the 120 or 160 gallon box and tubs.

The pump on the skimmer died. DEAD. So I also picked up a new one on amazon too. I discovered an extra powerhead I had here at the house. Which is great, i need one in the sump "refugium" and one in the new DT for movement till the Vortechs get moved over.

On deck for Labor Day ...
Finishing touches. The wife works, i get paid, life is good!:bounce2:

I will load a bunch of pics tonight. Its been a busy week so far.

Sailfin is the only place down by me that is close at all. It seems like central illinois can only support one store per hour radius. Although bloomington doesn't really have a store. I order almost all of my stuff through Amazon. The only thing I buy from John at Sailfin is the tank, sand, live rock, animals and food. Everything else is online. Which now that i list it all out is a lot of stuff i get from him. :lolspin:

Tanks looks good! Also funny, the few times I've been down there its always been Sailfin but their prices are through the roof on corals. Does that pet supplies down by County Market in Champaign still sell a bit of saltwater?

Tanks looks good! Also funny, the few times I've been down there its always been Sailfin but their prices are through the roof on corals. Does that pet supplies down by County Market in Champaign still sell a bit of saltwater?

Not sure. Ive never been there. Just Sailfin and Kens Aquarium in Decatur.

Yes their prices on corals are WAYYY high. I do get a couple good deals on corals there but mostly I just get fish there because they have a good price and their fish have never had a disease or mysterious death.

There is a facebook group called KUSH CORALS. Its tied to a store far away from here but in illinois and they have GREAT corals and bid on facebook so the price isnt anymore than you are willing to pay. I would check them out.

Well I seem to have cursed myself.

I bought a purple firefish from Sailfin, went away this weekend and come back to the fish missing. It wasnt a jumper and from my observations over the last 3 weeks it was eating and getting along with all of the other fish just fine.

There are four possible solutions.
1. Fish just up and died
2. Anemone ate the fish during its split (not likely)
3. It liked to hang by the powerheads and could have gotten sucked in and spit out.
4. The coral beauty went rouge and killed it

But since my crab, shrimp, and starfish all ate everything instantly I have no idea what happened.

My anemone split in two over the weekend also. So i was very suprised when i came home.

Nice build. I lost two orange diamond gobies that way[emoji31] just vanished. I think they died nd the crabs nd snails cleaned them up. No evidence. So I won't b getting another

Nice build. I lost two orange diamond gobies that way[emoji31] just vanished. I think they died nd the crabs nd snails cleaned them up. No evidence. So I won't b getting another

Thanks!

Yeah i know it happens. Still sad.

I think its because i introduced it last and it really should have gone in first. I did not plan the stock list very well at the beginning.

There is a facebook group called KUSH CORALS. Its tied to a store far away from here but in illinois and they have GREAT corals and bid on facebook so the price isnt anymore than you are willing to pay. I would check them out.

Kush is the spot, they're out in bradley/kankakee and is also out of the same store Chicagoland Aquariums (which is nowhere near chicago). I believe the owner used to work for Aquatica which is up in Tinley Park.

Well I seem to have cursed myself.

I bought a purple firefish from Sailfin, went away this weekend and come back to the fish missing. It wasnt a jumper and from my observations over the last 3 weeks it was eating and getting along with all of the other fish just fine.

Firefish also love to disappear into holes in the rockwork/sand for weeks and then reappear out the blue. I've noticed it more with purples then reds. Don't lose hope just yet if there are no signs of jumping.

I did not see him for a day once. So that may be true. But it's been two days and I've checked a ton of spots and can't see anything. If he managed to find a spot I can't see then I will be impressed.

Updates with PICTURES!!

Purple Firefish is done. I have not seen him at all for weeks.
My wife "saw" a crab being eaten by the starfish. We go to Sailfin and talk to a guy who says that crabs shed their exoskeletons and thats probably what we saw. I didnt know that and thought it was so cool. We bought another crab just incase. lol

Down to the tank.

Sump is finally finished. I followed the design I have posted. It works really well. I switched where the three piece bubble trap is to right after the skimmer. It honestly needs only two pieces, not sure why that third piece of glass is there. It doesnt do anything.

The skimmer is pulling a ton of crap. The skimate smells terrible :lolspin. Im glad its all going now with the new pump installed.

The BRS Dual Reactor is also plumbed inline now. I have a small pump for it, no manifold ffrom the main pump. There is only carbon at this point, but no leaks and the water has cleared up.

The canopy is done. I sanded stained and poly'd the top. Measured the lights, made templates and then started drilling holes. I used eye hooks and key ring holders to hold the lights above the water. I really like the way the canopy worked out.

Attachments

• IMG_0690.JPG
    IMG_0690.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0689.JPG
    IMG_0689.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0688.JPG
    IMG_0688.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0681.jpg
    IMG_0681.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 0
Alright. The 20 gallon has officially been shut down and moved.

The Coral Beauty and some corals were sent to my dads tank today. I am down to just the clownfish, goby, shrimp, starfish, snails, some corals in the tank currently. I have a fish stocking list, the CB just had to go since it kept eating my corals.

All tech and equipment has been put onto the 65 gallon. It is all running and functioning great at this point.

Cords are obviously a huge mess to try and keep straight. I tried to do the best I could but there is still room for improvement. I still have plenty of work on the tank and sump plus maintenance. Its finally time to start stocking the tank with more fish and corals.

Attachments

• IMG_0704.JPG
    IMG_0704.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0705.jpg
    IMG_0705.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0707.jpg
    IMG_0707.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0709.JPG
    IMG_0709.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0710.JPG
    IMG_0710.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
Bristletooth Tang added to the tank this weekend.

It is swimming along happily at this point and seems to be fine in the tank. Ill try feeding tonight.

Back