My Ongoing Build Thread

Why would the tank overflow with the power out vs on? :confused: I'd think it would just continue running as normal.

Separate note: I'd make sure you have surge suppressors on everything. I'm glad I did as I burned a bunch of them out during a brown out a few years back. Still cheaper than replacing my reef equipment.

I'm worried about it overflowing in general and the return pump continuing to overflow the tank if the main drain got clogged. I wanted to run some kind of a switch to turn off the return of the tank got too full. But with the batter backup it's not possible. I need the battery backup to not burn out the M1 during brownouts. Surge protectors and GFCI outlets are obviously a must in my tank.

I think that I'm just going to create a mesh thing to keep snails and animals out of the overflow area. Possibly silicone it down. That should solve my main concern for overflow.

Unless someone can think of something else?

Thanks for the input. It feels like I'm talking to myself I here sometimes. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once those clowns take to a nem, they're addicted. Mine lounge in my RBTA all day long. Only leave it to eat. They get real aggressive toward anything that gets near their nem, especially a hand!

My clown already hates my hand. Lol
She bites all the time.

You could cut out the overflow teeth, and replace it with gutter guard, works great.

Im not too worried about the overflow teeth themselves. Im more worried about the gap around the return pipe and the open space above the overflow area. Im not putting a lid on it since I have a canopy. So I'm thinking about a custom cut light diffuser lid siliconed down so that a snail cant slowly move it up as it goes. And then some kind of wire mesh around the return area. Not sure if they have stainless wire mesh. Although that area is much smaller.

Continued thoughts with that plan?

Those will restrict flow quite a bit. They'll also clog with bubble algae. You should be fine if you go with larger 1.5" or 2". I wouldn't do 1" though. I had them from a bulkhead kit and used them in a pinch, but eventually replaced them with the type I posted. Well, they used to offer a slip version. That's the ones I have.

Those will restrict flow quite a bit. They'll also clog with bubble algae. You should be fine if you go with larger 1.5" or 2". I wouldn't do 1" though. I had them from a bulkhead kit and used them in a pinch, but eventually replaced them with the type I posted. Well, they used to offer a slip version. That's the ones I have.

Yeah I could not find the ones I needed.
So they restrict flow? Would cutting every other one out help prevent the clog and flow restrictions?

Would cutting every other one out help prevent the clog and flow restrictions?

That would work. Just make sure the openings aren't large enough for anything yup get in that would clog the line. Kind of defeats the purpose. ;)

That would work. Just make sure the openings aren't large enough for anything yup get in that would clog the line. Kind of defeats the purpose. ;)

Haha. Right.

I guess I'll have some tinkering to do. Plenty of time with the cycle running.

Alright. Got the BRS grate in the mail the other day. You were correct in their limiting flow. I can clearly see that it would happen because of the limited space between the grates. It is really restricted. Oh well.

Ohter news. I have been planning on cutting apart old 10 gallon tanks and then cutting the glass to use as the sump. Well after trying to take apart the tank and cracking the glass and realizing how much damn silicone there is, Ive decided to skip that step. I went out and bought glass sheets from the Blue Big Box Store. $6 bucks per sheet cut to size. Im not sure why i didnt just do this in the first place. I spent the same amount of money on glass cutting crap as I did on the actual glass. :headwally:
I know their stuff is rather thin but Im not under a stand. I dont really foresee me ramming my equipment so hard into glass that it breaks the stuff.

So yeah. 40 gallon breeder 36x18x16
4 3/32" glass panels cut to 17 3/4" wide by 10" tall

This leave about 15 gallons of water space left in the sump for overflow purposes.
.6 gallons roughly in the stand pipes. So i can have a 1/5 of my tank get back siphoned into the sump before it overflows.

Clearly my returns will not be THAT far down into my tank (MAYBE 2 inches of 24). Im not even comfortable with that number its probably gonna be 1 inch. So room to spare for sure.

Plumbing is happening tomorrow.

So I got the tank plumbed today. The unions on the durso pipes are a little too close. I may have to replumb that section if it starts leaking. But I'm hoping it's all good for now.

The glass was too wide. I cut it down myself to 17 1/4 wide and now it fits perfectly. Tomorrow I'll start building and gluing the sump sections. Already have the tank marked and on its side.

Wanted fish list ...

Already have
Clownfish
Yellow Watchman Goby
Cleaner Shrimp
Coral Beauty - being rehomed

Want
Two spot bristle tooth tang
Diamond Goby
Firefish
Royal Gramma

Possibly also a Mandarin.

This is for my own reference since wifey threw away my paper list. :lol: but if anyone has any thoughts as always peas share them.

My Ongoing Build Thread

Funny you should say that. I am working on rockscape tonight.

c9d6ca35adf47d2f2c3c6a35067335e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_0553.JPG

I want an sps dominate mixed reef. I'm not too sure on which design I like better. I'm trying to research some sps tank ideas to get the most corals in the tank

I've gotten the final design in the tank and glued together in large strategic pieces incase I need to remove rocks.

There are a few missing rocks because they are in the current main tank. The left side will have an island of gsp. And the flat spots will be filled in with a few rocks that have some coral growth on them.

I'll be relying on the sps to add height and depth to the tank. I can add pillars on the side and middle if needed later on. IMG_0559.JPG

Tank gets wet this weekend.
Just finished plumbing last night and creating a stand for my skimmer.
Have to drill one last hole in the floor for a wire to connect the ReefKeeper Powerbar to the head unit on the main floor.

Assuming the tank doesn't leak then we starting plugging in equipment to get a basic setup working to have a cycle start in the tank (wont take that long for it to cycle).

You're way more patient than I am... It's a good thing, so that things are set up properly.

Back