My own aquacultured rock

UH_OH_5_OH

I'd like your opinions.....I have a friend that will let me place some rock (not homemade agricrete) off his property in Destin, FL. I was thinking about placing rock in an area that measures about 10' x 10' and just let it grow for the next two years. Then I can retrieve and replace rock as I need it for my tanks.

Thoughts and opinions please ?!?

You can but, pollution could be a problem as well as unwanted hitchhikers.
But it can work to really mature the rock.

You could put it in, but if you get caught taking it out you could face MAJOR fines
I'm pretty sure you need a permit to do this

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7393338#post7393338 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Scuba_Dave
You could put it in, but if you get caught taking it out you could face MAJOR fines
I'm pretty sure you need a permit to do this

Actually you are 100% correct on this, most coastal areas of florida are protected. meaning that if you get caught taking anything out of the water, you could face huge fines and possible charges being brought against you.

Agreed, I work for the Florida FWC and you will get nailed. Plus Im not too keen on inshore live rock, more macroalgae than coralline and different microfauna.

you'll need a saltwater products permit. Contact the local FWC office and they can tell you what you need.

In my opinion, it just wouldn't be worth the effort. It would be better to just buy some really good rock to seed your other rock. I am not going to prison for rocks.

Can't you essentially do the same thing buy putting the rock in an already established tank?

To me it would make more sense and less legal effects.

Back