My plans...will it work for rics and zoos?

MacnReef

Ok, so I have a 58g RR tank. This is my list so far...let me know what you think...especially looking at flow.

58g RR
barebottom
20g acrylic bag sump
EuroReef RS5-2
Mag 9.5 return
Mag 12 on Closed Loop with SCWD

Lights - still debating.

If you could also give me some suggestions on lighting, I would appreciate it. I was going to turn this into an SPS tank, but don't want the headache right now of another calcium reactor, CO2 bottle and all that goes with SPS.

TIA,
Mike

I say put the mag 12 on the return, ditch the mag-9/closed loop and get Seios.

For lights I would go with x2 175 Watt Halides OR 250 watt halides...

I have 2x175W SE MH (10K Ushios) and 2x39W T5 (1 actinic, and 1 blue plus) over my 58. I am very happy with this setup. I have debated moving up to 250s, but don't want the added $$ for electricity. If you want to stay with LPS and softies, 175s are more than enough. Best of luck!
Chris

Testhead1313, what are you running for a return pump? Isn't a Mag 12 to powerfull for a 58G with out throttling it back.

Yeah, dual 250's is too much but I am thinking dual 175's or just T5's and no halides.

As for flow. For some reason my damn Mag12 is cavatating so I need to figure that out. It seems to be decent flow and the alternating flow is nice...so if I can get the Mag 12 set up right, I will just keep it.

Mike

Ok, so I removed the closed loop and put the Mag12 as the return pump and I am going to sell the Mag9.5. So currently, the only flow is a Mag12, which is quite a bit of flow.

What other items should I consider or is this enough?

Finally, will a Outer Orbit fixture work? It has 1x150 HQI and 2x96w PC's. I am just conserned that 150 won't be enough.

Any other suggestions on a fixture? How about a Orbit 4x96w PC fixture? I need to stay under $500.

Thanks!
Mike

On my 65g tank, my return is a mag9.5 and I also run two seio 620's in the tank for waterflow, so I'm sure you would have enough flow.

100_4035.jpg

For lights, I have two hqi 150watt DE Oceanlight pendants running two 14k pheonix bulbs. Plus I have two 39watt 10k TEK T-5 lights in my canopy.

100_2821Medium.jpg

I have a mixed variety of coral species, but mushrooms dominate the tank.
100_3778Medium.jpg

Good luck with your setup. It sounds like you are just about there in what you want.
BTW, I run a rs5-2 Euro also.:thumbsup:

Well, after carefully studying the flow on both the Mag9.5 and 12, the Mag9.5 puts out .1 gpm more than the Mag12...atleast by my watch and the estimation on the 1 gallon bucket.

So, for heat reasons and electrical consumption, I am going to use the Mag9.5 and try to get some SEIO's like you have.

I need to figure this light situation out though. I don't have a canopy so I have to get a fixture with legs, mainly because, that's what I want.

Any suggestions on a nice fixture that will have some sort of fluorescents and dual 150w HQIs?

Mike

I came REAL close to buying that same fixture just two months ago, but it was a half inch too long to fit in my canopy.

Well I don't have a canopy so it would work...should I get it? I mean, 500+ watts of light over a 58 is slightly overkill...lol

I think that light combo would do well for you if you can hang it from your ceiling, just keep it off your water a couple inches higher than you would with 150's.

Thankfully she doesn't care about that...had a 6' Maristar hanging from the ceiling.

Hmmm, damn, what should I do?

Back