My Project ★ GENESIS ★ 110G (Miracle) SPS Dream Tank - (I) Pre-Build Thread

TANK Sealed/Protected (For Next Phase) Meticulous Work Coming Soon

Thanks Tenurpro....Really glad I got to this point.

As much as I've achieved a Major Milestone, the Journey isn't quite over, it's actually just begining....(Groan)

At least I'm at the Creative stage of this project...And I can't wait to the really fun stage...Sump Room, and The Tank ALIVE (Fish wish the same).

38543014900_cf976fc5e8.jpg

Plenty to do, but for now tank is covered with protective sheet.

I also roughly put on the SheetRock Edging since the Edge-Drywall can crumble with GRITTY dust/debris.
Edging does fit nice, and I have ideas for how to seal/install it for a perfect Wall Finish.

TANK SHIMMY Time [B](For Ultra Leveling and Stability) Before Dri-Cor is Wrapped around tank.[/B]

I have to finished the Dri-Core around Tank, but once installed I will no longer have access to the TWO Front SIDES of tank STand Bottom.

26491203468_c72be9714f.jpg

Ideally I should fill tank with water and let it settle a while.

However I still will have access to Sump Room Side, if any later adjustments are needed.

These shimmys will be Cut Flush with Stand and then I'll seal the bottom with the Chalking to seal the Sump room further.

Now is when the true fun begins. The amount of forethought on this project is amazing.
I cant wait to watch this all unfold.

Wellitsabouttimealready! Nice job Wally.

Try hauling a tank that size up three flights of stairs. Not fun.

I'm looking forward to finally seeing some water in that thing. :)

Well Guys,
...First Thanks for cheering me on.

However I've run into a problem!

The Plywood Stand Top OR The tank trim isn't a perfect flush match.

I don't feel comfortable with the tank not fully resting across the full trim.
Perhaps if I filled tank with water things might flatten out.

But what if not since the plywood is very hard after I sealed with with the Eurothane sealer.

I need to at least place a very thin layer of foam under the tank.
Or something else.

Too bad for this small setback.

How big is the gap? I suspect that if it is very small, say 1/16th the foam would level it no problem. I've used bondo to level out a 40 breeder where the gap was almost 1/4".

Tank Under padding (Right under my Nose) Perfect Material

So I wanted to find the ideal foam Underpad, to place the whole TANK TRIM on to EVEN THINGS UP.

I didn't want to use the THICK PAD that I bought earlier, since I did double Plywood already (so tank would be too high)

I tried all kinds of materials I had around the house. (PayFoam, Drawer Liners, Rubber, etc)

THEN It hit me........ (I have TONS of an IDEAL MATERIAL)

40326679312_117f049618_z.jpg

The roll of foam under padding I was using for the VINYL FLOORING.

NICE AND THIN. VAPOUR BARRIER Waterproof Liner, compresses nicely but hold up with Weight over larger area (1.5 Inch Trim width)

40326679482_5c89d416a8_z.jpg

I cut 2" strip (a bit wider than the trim). I held up tank, and my daughter tucked it in.
I cut off the excess foam on the outside of tank edges.

And that one RIGHT corner that had a tiny ever so small wobble, I doubled up the foam over a area needed.

39661194604_7b9708c9f0_c.jpg

The tank is steady as a rock, and when (water & rocks) go in, 1200 More Pound will flatten the foam out (Where needed to Keep LEVEL BY GRAVITY)

I DID A CALCULATION: (on lbs/sq inch)

46" of 1.5 inch Trim (Front and Back) = 138
24" of 1.5 inch Time (Left and right)= 72
Total Weight Distribution = 210 Square Inches
Tank+contents weight approx. 1200 lbs
------------------------------------------------------
Weight Distribution = 10 Lbs/Square Inch (which is not much)

I also placed a tiny thin shimmy in the corner for a touch of extra wiggle stop support.

Last edited:
almost level, things shifted a tiny bit since I did pick up and move around tank to get the foam under.

I will pull the shimmy's and level all over again.

I think it would be wise for me to fill the tank and see how the foam works. (before i do drywall at top)
Also having tank full of water will roughly give me the water level line. (not running, just to the point of a tiny drip into overflow.

So, the tank is level now, with the extra padding under that corner?

Now it is Level (as perfect as I could get it).

38564637990_9c3354cd3f_o.jpg

2 hours of constant adjustments, between Bottom Stand, Tank Glass and Top Wall.... Plus getting Corner just right.

Shimmy's aare banged in tight, cut, and done!!

I couldn't end today without this Part Finished, since Tank is NOW LOCKED IN so I can moved forward the rest of the work.

That "X" on the Styro is a reminder to replace with Plywood. (I noticed the sump running under The Stand is misting a lot of salt creep (which would ruin the Outter Drywall)

Tank (Water Fill Test)

This has to be done now, not later.

39674509624_5311c700a9_o.jpg

Will see Water Line, leveling, Foam compression, Shifts, leaks etc

Bit nervous, but all holding while I wait for tank to fill.

TANK Filled up (Compression did happen) Will let it settle

Tank looks like to nice Frosty Glass of Cold water :)

I put in Shimmy's at TOP of Tank. (Lightly Snug before Water Fill)

38575199670_a5a92544cd_z.jpg

After fill, I can tell the foam compressed since shimmys are a bit looser.

I can tell that foam is compressed all around, but not much (NOT Flattened to paper thin)

No leaks. :)

Will let tank settle for a while and check leveling.

STAND SEALED (Waterproof Chalking)

Even though there was compression, the STAND/TANK is still Level and Flush with wall.

26516389258_262e45be87_o.jpg

My confidence is high enough, that I sealed the STAND.
Sump room is now about 85% WaterProof Sealed around (FROM THE OUTSIDE Wall).

DRICORE-SubFloor (Around Tank) Complete

I know these are BORING updates, but nobody more than me want's to get to the Fun Part. (The Man Cave Sump Room)

38578520790_65fafa809d_z.jpg

There is a gap in the SubFloor, to Install the DRYWALL and a Extra 1/8"-1/4" GAP for any expansion from humidity/heat.

You can see how dusty things were (From Drywall Work) since New DriCor Pieces are cleaner.

Nice job on the subfloor! And I don't think the updates are boring. We are seeing progress. Anyways boring updates are much better than no updates at all

Marty

DRICORE-SubFloor (Around Tank) Complete

I know these are BORING updates, but nobody more than me want's to get to the Fun Part. (The Man Cave Sump Room)

38578520790_65fafa809d_z.jpg

There is a gap in the SubFloor, to Install the DRYWALL and a Extra 1/8"-1/4" GAP for any expansion from humidity/heat.

You can see how dusty things were (From Drywall Work) since New DriCor Pieces are cleaner.

Keep it coming Wally - I am living vicariously through your tank build.... ahhh man cave sump room ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Update Coming (Turbo Progress) BUT A RIDDLE FOR NOW :)

RIDDLE:

What Hurts more than getting a Wooden SLITHER?

Answer:

A Rough Jagged Slither JAMED under your FINGER NAIL.

Ouuuuuuchhh!!

The Good News is it came out whole.....But I can measure my heartbeat rate since I feel my heart beating from the throbbing pulses.

Last edited:
Back