My Project ★ GENESIS ★ 110G (Miracle) SPS Dream Tank - (II) Build Thread

Use as much of the old water as you can.

One of the biggest mistakes people make is not doing this and they end up losing a handful of acros. I've seen this play out over and over many times over the years.

I'm not totally update to how many corals you have in the old set up.......but either way I'd still do this......you're still going to be adding about 30% new water.

Thanks Ed.

I actually have ZERO corals. The few I had are in a friends tank in holding.

My main goal is to get fish and rocks across and run FOLR for a while as I increase my FISH population (for more nutrients). It will take some time for the system to adjust/stabilize.

To achieve adding more fish I think I might be able to use my 65 Gal tank as a short term QT.
I hate doing QT for each fish thus I hope to get as many new fish as I can in one Shot.

While I Shop around for new fish I think I'll join the two tanks and start a slow rock transfer building up the Rocks Scape properly.

WHEN I have fish purchased, I will separate the 65Gal QT tank and run a mini sump.

THESE ARE just my thoughts, since as I do things I may realize things may need to be done differently (or my patience which has been rock solid till now, may run out).

Tank Transfer (Rock Scape FOUNDATION Build up) with New Water

So I got this idea.

39885555884_9ee9d0409b_o.jpg

Rather then filling up NEW TANK totally with water, I'll fill it partially as I make more water.

I have the Acrylic Rods that I plan to use on the Base Rocks as Feet.

I can slowly bring Select Rocks over and build the Rock Scape foundation with a LOWER WATER LEVEL (which is easier to work with than a Full Tank).

I have a heater to keep water warm, and can add some circulation for the EVENTUALLY (Two Tank Join to SUMP)

Update Trip to LFS (Tank Filling, Tunze CARE Strong Glass Cleaner, *** Mega Large Korean Angel **)

The Tank is Full enough to start some Rock Scape work.

40600425461_856e1d91d8.jpg

Went to LFS to get some Putty, and picked up my TUNZE CARE Glass cleaner.

And check this FISH out I saw at the store.

A Beautiful KOREAN ANGEL (Massive!! )

26728667728_72df38130c_z.jpg

LARGEST Fish I've Ever Seen in the For Sale Section.

I guess the other fish thought the same, since they would always swim to the other end of the Tank.

Starting T5 Lighting Fixture (Planning / Wall Work)

I can't speed up Water RO Water making, so moving on.
Rocks will come later since they need to be done properly (can't just pick Top Rocks from Old Tank)

25731627337_4730cc668c.jpg

I need to cut away some of the Drywall for T5 to have full tank coverage, and be able to raise Light to Max 12".

If LOWER lighting is needed, 4 out of 6 T5's are on DIMMABLE BALLASTS.

Will BUILD FIXTURE first and adjust things later when hanging.

Last edited:
T5 Lighting Fixture Parts (Almost Everything)

Here is all I need for the T5 Fixture.

39707545175_4767deb9cf_c.jpg

Except one small problem. (Supplier has a problem counting Pairs)

I have 6 Endcaps/Standoffs but ordered and paid for 6 PAIRS.
Also missing 3 Clips for the Reflectors.
* Unfortunate!! *

Can Build 3 Complete T5's, and the Make Wood Fixtures for all 6 T5's.

Will have to wait for Supplier correction to complete the full fixture.
Since Ballasts run 2 bulbs together, I can only have 1 pair working.
However I can get Sump Room sizing/space done.

Planning to STAIN the Wood Black/PolyEurathane.

Update Trip to LFS (Tank Filling, Tunze CARE Strong Glass Cleaner, *** Mega Large Korean Angel **)

The Tank is Full enough to start some Rock Scape work.

40600425461_856e1d91d8.jpg

Went to LFS to get some Putty, and picked up my TUNZE CARE Glass cleaner.

And check this FISH out I saw at the store.

A Beautiful KOREAN ANGEL (Massive!! )

26728667728_72df38130c_z.jpg

LARGEST Fish I've Ever Seen in the For Sale Section.

I guess the other fish thought the same, since they would always swim to the other end of the Tank.

Yeah lovely angel... I picked up a fancy wrasse from them yesterday
5f1582ab008a2a2509377b41df211ab0.jpg
, eating frozen and pellets today.... yay...
Did you get any fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah lovely angel... I picked up a fancy wrasse from them yesterday, eating frozen and pellets today.... yay...
Did you get any fish?
Nice fish you got. Eating after just a day, it even better.
No I didn't pick up any fish. Really picky on my selection.
First will be the Black Capped Basslet.
Then....I don't know.

As far as that Huge Angel. It should be in the Ocean, not a Tank. And certainly not in the small tank it is in now.
But comparing Photo's you wrasse looks bigger :)

Hey wally.. been very preoccupied lately.. I know it’s mute now but without corals, you might as well do whatever is easiest for your situation.. which is, I suppose what you already did!
You can adjust and do wcs as needed in the coming weeks,if you don’t have any corals in the tank right away..

Hey wally.. been very preoccupied lately.. I know it’s mute now but without corals, you might as well do whatever is easiest for your situation.. which is, I suppose what you already did!
You can adjust and do wcs as needed in the coming weeks,if you don’t have any corals in the tank right away..
Thanks Matt.
No I haven't done anything yet. Tank is still Filling with new water.
If it doesn't matter what I do since NO CORALS. Then I'd rather not bring in OLD TANK WATER into the mix.
I'll leave the OLD water 30 Gal in the SUMP, and hook up the New Tank with 110 Gallon of New Water.
Bring some rocks over, bit by bit and it should cycle after I transfer the OLD FISH.
The OLD tank with OLD water will just sit there for a QT TANK on a separate Mini Sump.

Nice fish you got. Eating after just a day, it even better.

No I didn't pick up any fish. Really picky on my selection.

First will be the Black Capped Basslet.

Then....I don't know.

As far as that Huge Angel. It should be in the Ocean, not a Tank. And certainly not in the small tank it is in now.

But comparing Photo's you wrasse looks bigger :)

Yeah I am as also concerned about the well fare of the angel in that very small tank :(
Black capped basslets are nice. Have you made up your mind about sand? I ask because I think sand dwelling wrasses in the genus Helicores (spelling) and Macropharyngodon are often great for pest control in sps tanks; known predators of red bugs, aefw and monti eating nudis... they do not eradicate pests but they can keep their populations in check. I would consider adding some sand in a shallow container behind the rock work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I am as also concerned about the well fare of the angel in that very small tank :(
Black capped basslets are nice. Have you made up your mind about sand? I ask because I think sand dwelling wrasses in the genus Helicores (spelling) and Macropharyngodon are often great for pest control in sps tanks; known predators of red bugs, aefw and monti eating nudis... they do not eradicate pests but they can keep their populations in check. I would consider adding some sand in a shallow container behind the rock work.
At this point. NO Full Tank SANDBED 100. I've been pretty sure about that for a long time after removing the Sand from OLD Tank.

Maybe down the road a Small Bed of Sand in some well protected Cave or something.

Improved Plumbing (External OVERFLOW) Flex Hose and All Pressure Tight Fittings (no glue/No Silicone)

I fooled around with all kind of ways, and Finally arrived with the Best Choice.

39725143265_51740f1776_z.jpg

Everything is SUPER SNUG Tight so I don't need any glue/silicone to make WaterProof Seals. (Maybe a bit of Self Bonding Silicone tape around Lower Flex Hose).

Made to TWO Vertical PVC pipes (so top one can slide up and down for about 1/2" adjustment) Or new Piece could be cut.

ALL Black so limits Algae Growth.

OVERFLOW COMPLETED (Silicone Tape)

I opted out on the Compression Fitting CAP (Threaded Part), and went with Self Bonding Silicone Tape.

40621189471_9594ff664f.jpg

Moving on....

Last edited:
T5 Lighting Fixture (BLACK, WHITE, or WOOD) ?????

I only Stain/Sealed One Wood Strip (BLACK) for the T5 Fixture.

39911490684_43c5e2f974_z.jpg

I can't color the WHITE Endcaps, so not sure it BLACK will be best look.

39911490524_b49b404d30_z.jpg

With Reflector on BLACK isn't too bad.

Maybe WHITE will be better. Might try that, this wood is pennies.

Not sure, however Black would match the Tank Color.

GOING BLACK (Works Well In Sump Room above Tank) CONTRAST

After Light Sanding/painting 1st Strip with 2nd Coat T5 Strip Fixture Looked better (Slicker with Reflective Nature of Polyeurathane kicking in SEEN IN LEFT MOST STRIP).

40581176402_0f8d92f79a.jpg

I tried the Sample Black Strip Above Tank with White background Wall appears better than a white fixture.

CURTAIN CLOSING ( All READY for Final Sump Room Build ) Phase

So the Sump room is RAW Ready to go for the final RE-ASSEMBLY.

Doesn't look pretty but it's ready.

40584794872_c28e8bdd2f.jpg

All bits and pieces of everything have been presented.

You all get the feeling of what the Sump Room will look like.

So I think it's best I DRAW THE CURTAIN CLOSED and spare everyone the gory boring details.

40626662911_a211278970_z.jpg

See you soon. For the SUMP ROOM GRAND OPENING.

What is the predicted opening of the gran sump Room?

Marty
Things are going really fast. It's all in my head right now and will come together in bits and pieces (with adjustment along the way).

Small delay on the Lighting (Supplier shipped wrong Reflectors, and 3 endcaps missing).

HOPING the Curtain will go up by Friday, or later in the Weekend.

Just the Sump Room. I don't think I'll start up Tank with Fish and Rocks till done.

Go luck Wally!
Thanks.
The SUMP room is NO PEEKING, but Thread is still open on side topics.

I'm still stuck on if I should JOIN the TWO TANKS, or Just Active NEW TANK on Sump (30Gal of Old Water).

I know you said it doesn't matter with NO Corals.
But I'm thinking (Toxins: things I want to get rid of) and (Biology: What I want to keep).

I figure the Sump and Live Rock will bring plenty of Biology into the system.
Water Column will catch up. AND I have a 1/2 bottle of Zeobak to Seed the system.

SO I'm leaning toward 110GAL of New Water, and 30 Gallon of OLD Water in Sump (FOR THE NEW SETUP STARTUP).

BEHIND THE SUMP ROOM Curtain ( Talk ) Update

This will keep your imagination flowing WITHOUT Spoiling the Grand Opening.

40603121492_7ac133d410.jpg

Bubble TALK Arrows Point to the appropriate WORK spots in LAST SUMP ROOM PHOTO.

Back