My rendition of 300

My concern is that even a 2x8 won't be strong enough to have the proper deflection. I could be completely wrong (more than often I am). I just don't want to start filling it with water and realize that I need to add a center upright. I guess I can go with another glue laminate that will support 10 of my tanks, but I want to know what the minimum size necessary is so that I don't completely over do it. the thicker I go, the less space I have underneath.

Take a 2X4, machine it flat and square, then machine a groove down the middle of the 4" face, about 1/3 of the way in depth.
Use that for the top and bottom.
Machine the 2X6 or 2X8 square. Then glue it in the groove and clamp.
That should hold it and make it strong enough not to flex. Worse case is a single support in the middle.
Or do a steel I beam.

I definitely considered a metal beam as well. My wife said, make the whole stand out of metal. I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on something that isn't necessary.

Build a manufactured I beam out of a 2X6 or 2X8.

Every once in a while, I look on CL to see if there is a good deal on a set up. Then I go back and work on my off road toy and forget about it. Maybe one day.

Why not just pick up a 50 cube?' Those are easy to maintain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just make the stand out of metal. It looks great and it'll provide you with peace of mind. The 2 x 8" is certainly strong enough though.

Things are moving along nicely, I have the ceilings painted and most of the tile done.

G17U2Lil.jpg

sSEGCS4l.jpg

0RQ61pql.jpg

6FGNSeUl.jpg

wukaIUjl.jpg

That's it for today, tomorrow I will finish the tile up to the point that I'm still waiting on the schluter kerdi.

Is that wood tile? Fancy for a fish room.

Indeed, a year and a half ago we decided to remove all carpet from downstairs and replace it with tile. 8 months after that decision we finally agreed on the tile that complimented the existing tile in the house and we purchased enough to do roughly 1200 sq ft.

A sitting room, dining room, exercise room, guest bedroom, a closet and the equipment room.

xJf9kTAl.jpg

vF1521hl.jpg

TQpprrEl.jpg

tB5cVwtl.jpg

Keep in mind that when we decide to sell the house I want to convert that room back into a slightly bigger closet. Or a room for the step child.

The waterproofing membrane made it here in perfect timing. I was almost at a stand still,

2y1uHzkl.jpg

This is the trowel that the company recommends to provide a thin layer of thinset in between to provide good adhesion.

f2nHeJCl.jpg

I went 4" up the wall, if any water leaks and collects on the step, it isn't going to seep into the walls, it will either sit there until I clean it up or if I did things right is will slope down and onto the froor.

JJM2WyKl.jpg

4lb6oyLl.jpg

69WtG52l.jpg

A little clean up and later this evening I can but in the grout.

YformT9l.jpg

qgQNsu8l.jpg

Just a little more insight of how I'm going to keep water from seeping into any other wall that is on ground surface. I always have to keep in the back of my mind that when it's time to take the tank down, that room has to be converted back into a closet. The gaps where the floor and wall meet are going to be filled with spray foam which is more to keep the bugs out, immediately after the foam has been sprayed and before it expands, I nail the base board down. Then I caulk the top AND bottom of the base board to seal the floor, keeping any standing water from making its way to the walls. If I do all this correctly, in the event of a flood the way that the room is sightly sloped, I'm guessing it will collect in the back of the room. In a catastrophic failure, nothing is going to help, I'll just be squeegee-ing water outside... hehe.

I'd like to think that the room will be completely done by Tuesday (2days), which means I can finally turn my attention to the tank. That's what most of you guys are wanting any way, I know that's what I'm ready for. After all this isn't "Home Renovation Central", it's "Reef Central"!!

After all this isn't "Home Renovation Central", it's "Reef Central"!!

I'll speak for myself and say that I appreciate the "œHome Renovation Central" as much as the rest of the build to come. All of the little tricks of the trade we share help people with future builds. I know a lot of my build came from reading past successes and failures. That included the room prep as much as the actual tank build itself. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

Looking great keep up the good work. I agree with Halmus it s funny with all the home renovations we do for our tanks. I'm pretty much redoing my whole first floor to get ready for my tank as well.

Wow Jimmy. You're really making progress. I love the attention to detail. You're setup should be awesome once it's complete!

I'll speak for myself and say that I appreciate the "œHome Renovation Central" as much as the rest of the build to come. All of the little tricks of the trade we share help people with future builds. I know a lot of my build came from reading past successes and failures. That included the room prep as much as the actual tank build itself. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

Thanks, I think most of what I said was out of frustration that I haven't focused on anything tank related yet and want this part of the build to be complete. A lot of what I have done has been a culmination of what I have read with my own twist.

Looking great keep up the good work. I agree with Halmus it s funny with all the home renovations we do for our tanks. I'm pretty much redoing my whole first floor to get ready for my tank as well.

I'm glad i'm not the only one. I have done a few other things in conjunction with this room which made the house look like a disaster of tools and material, it definitely takes a tole. We had friends over last night for dinner and they were amazed at the transformation. So at least people are seeing forward momentum.

Wow Jimmy. You're really making progress. I love the attention to detail. You're setup should be awesome once it's complete!

It's definitely getting there, I posted a thread in the DIY section asking for the proper header for the back of the stand. It attracted some engineers who gave me the information needed to get the right size lumber for the job. All I have to do is make my way to the lumber yard and discuss options. Next big step is getting the stand built and prepped.

Do you have a thread started? If so I can't seem to find it.

I haven't started one yet. I am still planning everything out and taking my time. Luckily I have most everything I need. I have to figure out how to make the pics a reasonable size. Another thing is I'm not really going to start until it starts warming up a bit (sanding and buffing tank) and until after my daughter's birthday party. I also need to set up a holding tank for my coral & fish. I'll probably start one once I start reinforcing the floor in June. So much to do if it's holding water by October I'll be happy lol.

I haven't started one yet. I am still planning everything out and taking my time. Luckily I have most everything I need. I have to figure out how to make the pics a reasonable size. Another thing is I'm not really going to start until it starts warming up a bit (sanding and buffing tank) and until after my daughter's birthday party. I also need to set up a holding tank for my coral & fish. I'll probably start one once I start reinforcing the floor in June. So much to do if it's holding water by October I'll be happy lol.

Please provide the link when you do. October is definitely a reasonable goal. I'll be the first to admit, I want water in my tank now!!!

As for photo size, I take pictures with my phone and upload those pics unchanged to imgur. there you can select what size you want those pictures to be embedded to a thread. Super easy.

Today was the projected completion day for the equipment room. I'm happy to report that I only have 2 minor things left to do, 1. seal the floor 2. add the outlets to the last circuit. Here's what I have:

2pHJJnll.jpg

ccQ4u2Al.jpg

01t49whl.jpg

komCjZAl.jpg

sUSDFu3l.jpg

vbK8yugl.jpg

BsA99LPl.jpg

I like how this picture turned out, 2 coats of sealant and the electrical is done. Hopefully the wooden beam for my stand comes in tomorrow and I can start to build that. If not, I can plumb in the sink and washer.

IbO5VQfl.jpg

Your level of handiness makes my DIY projects seem very inadequate. :0) Oh well, I still have fun with it.

This all looks really good.

Question... are you already aware that you'll be moving? Or is this just "what if" talk?

Back